Software Engineer - Intern 2018
Quora, Mountain View, CA
Q&A platform that empowers people to share and grow the world’s knowledge
Things we look for include:
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience with web applications, databases, distributed systems, and machine learning a plus
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
- Love of the Quora product
To give you a taste of what interns could do at Quora, here are some projects interns have worked on in the past:
- Improving our JS packaging system for better client side performance
- Creating the next version of our machine learning systems for applications including related questions ranking, harassment detection, and duplicate question detection
- Providing advertisers a way to quickly estimate inventory availability for arbitrary targeting criteria in milliseconds
- Building the first version of our iPad app
- Getting higher-quality signal on users' interests during the new user onboarding experience
- Developing algorithms to match questions across different languages
- Improving site reliability with a better crawler detection framework
- Developing a realtime analyzer for better monitoring of Redis
- Rearchitecting an important part of the distributed systems that power our feed ranking
- Making product improvements to the question asking flow to encourage more question asking
In the future, interns can expect to work on the same projects as full-time engineers, which include:
- Product Systems: build out and scale user-facing product features to drive engagement and help the product grow.
- Platform: create the building blocks of Quora—the tools, abstractions, frameworks, and infrastructure systems to support all development at Quora and power our product on all platforms — web, mobile web, iOS, and Android.
- Infrastructure: design and build fast, cost-efficient, self-healing and scalable architectures to serve our ever-growing global traffic and storage needs.
- Machine Learning: build systems and processes that apply ML technologies, including ranking, content quality, text understanding, search, ads targeting and CTR prediction, etc.
We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds—from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences—so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.