Senior/Staff Backend Engineer, Developer Platform
Reddit, Boston, MA
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Reddit is a network of more than 100,000 communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies and passions. Reddit users submit, vote and comment on content, stories and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with more than 50 million daily active people, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. We're completely remote friendly and will continue to be after the pandemic.
Reddit is a platform that both celebrates and benefits from users innovating on Reddit itself, and we want to take that innovation to the next level. Our users have already done so much with the simple tools we’ve given them. In essence, they’ve proven Joy’s Law:
“No matter who you are, most of the smartest people work for someone else … It's better to create an ecology that gets all the world’s smartest people toiling in your garden for your goals. If you rely solely on your own employees, you’ll never solve all your customers' needs”
-- Bill Joy, Sun Microsystems
The developer platform initiative is about empowering users to make their communities on Reddit as awesome as possible. Think of it as radical community customization. We’ve learned that every time we give our users a canvas on which to be creative they both do so and do so in surprising ways. This role will lead our efforts to build the ultimate customization platform for Reddit communities.
How You’ll Make An Impact
- Architect, build and maintain the backend services powering the developer platform.
- Build new, best-practices APIs to empower the Reddit community.
- Contribute to the entire development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks.
What You Bring
- 2+ years of experience building for service-oriented architectures.
- Go, Typescript, Protobuf experience preferred
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure.
- Passion for developing scalable, well-designed software that improves people’s lives globally.
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices such as unit testing and code reviews, design, and documentation.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].
Founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005, Reddit is an online community where users submit, vote, and comment on content, news, and discussions. Nicknamed "the front page of the internet," Reddit is one of the top ten sites in the United States (source: Alexa), with hundreds of millions of users each month on desktop, mobile web, and our official Android/iOS apps.
Want to learn more about Reddit? Visit Reddit's website.
DICE is on a mission to get people out more. We bring incredible live shows and