Senior Backend Engineer, Data Processing & Workflow Foundations, Infrastructure
Reddit, Dublin, Remote Ireland
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
*This role can be remote in Ireland*
Do you want to design and build the systems that enable Reddit to operate at a global scale?
Making Reddit available to and work reliably for all users globally is a crucial aspect of Reddit’s mission to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit’s Infrastructure org is working to achieve this by building and delivering the storage and data systems, compute orchestration environment, and essential platform services behind all of Reddit.
We’re the Data Processing & Workflow Foundations team and we empower engineering teams at Reddit to build scalable, decoupled systems and applications using asynchronous message queuing and passing by defining recommended design patterns, maintaining centralized infrastructure, creating frameworks and tooling, contributing to open-source projects we use, and providing integration support to help with adoption.
We’re looking for an experienced backend engineer to join our team to design and build Reddit’s messaging infrastructure and platform. This is a high impact role where you will contribute to design, implementation, and operations for one of the largest sites in the world.
Join us and help build the future of Reddit!
How you’ll Have Impact:
- Design, implement and maintain the systems that enable Reddit to operate at internet scale
- Design and build the frameworks and tooling to build messaging applications with a best-in-class developer experience
- Enable and support teams across all of Reddit to build real-time, streaming and batch processing applications
- Reddit is build your own adventure: You will be encouraged to identify opportunities for and affect positive change anywhere in the company
What You’ll Learn:
- How Reddit works on the inside
- How to design, build and maintain systems that operate reliably at a global scale
- How to design and build developer tooling for a high-quality development experience
- How to partner with a range of cross-functional teams to roll out technical programs
- How to build large-scale distributed systems, real-time stream and batch processing platforms
What You’ll Do:
- Own and execute backend and infrastructure projects
- Design, implement, test, productionize and maintain
- backend services,
- batch and stream processing infrastructure,
- batch and stream platforms,
- standardised patterns, libraries, frameworks and tooling for building streaming, batch processing and other applications
- Support building a healthy engineering culture and uphold code quality, testing and best practices
- Partner with other world-class engineers, product, data, and other cross-functional partners to roll out our centralized messaging infrastructure across all of Reddit and to identify and implement state-of-the-art solutions to challenging problems
- Provide technical leadership in domain areas
- Contribute to company-wide forums, initiatives and open-source projects
You will be encouraged and have the autonomy to propose and execute on your own projects and initiatives.
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary (irrespective of whether you choose to work remotely or from an office or both)
- Substantial benefits package (including an annual workspace benefit for equipping your home and/or office workspace)
- Access to training programs and opportunities for personal and professional development
- Option to work from home or from one of our office locations (if desired)
- Access to our worldwide community of Snoos and the opportunity to work for a fast-growing and internationally expanding business
- You will be treated respectfully and have both autonomy in choosing what to work on and how while also having access to any support you need
Who You Might Be:
- 5+ years of experience developing internet-scale software, preferably in infrastructure roles
- Experience working with and preferably provisioning, operating and maintaining Apache Kafka
- Preferably experience working with stream processing, batch processing and/or workflow systems such as Apache Flink, Apache Spark, and Apache Airflow
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages, such as Python, Go, Rust, Java or C++
- Preferably experience contributing to open-source projects
- Excellent collaborative, communication and documentation skills
“The front page of the internet", Reddit is a network of more than 100,000 communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies and passions. Reddit users submit, vote and comment on content, stories and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with more than 52 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy. Reddit is growing fast and is among the most visited websites in the world. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].
Founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005, Reddit is an online community where users submit, vote, and comment on content, news, and discussions. Nicknamed "the front page of the internet," Reddit is one of the top ten sites in the United States (source: Alexa), with hundreds of millions of users each month on desktop, mobile web, and our official Android/iOS apps.
Want to learn more about Reddit? Visit Reddit's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.