Senior Backend Engineer, Data Processing & Workflow Foundations
Reddit, Remote - United States
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Do you want to design and build the systems that enable Reddit to operate at a global scale?
Making Reddit available to and work reliably for all users globally is a crucial aspect of Reddit’s mission to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit’s Infrastructure org is working to achieve this by building and delivering the storage and data systems, compute orchestration environment, and essential platform services behind all of Reddit.
We’re the Data Processing & Workflow Foundations team and we empower engineering teams at Reddit to build scalable, decoupled systems and applications using asynchronous message queuing and passing by defining recommended design patterns, maintaining centralized infrastructure, creating frameworks and tooling, contributing to open-source projects we use, and providing integration support to help with adoption.
We’re looking for an experienced backend engineer to join our team to design and build Reddit’s messaging infrastructure and platform. This is a high impact role where you will contribute to design, implementation, and operations for one of the largest sites in the world.
Join us and help build the future of Reddit!
What You’ll Do:
- Own and execute backend and infrastructure projects
- Design, implement, test, productionize and maintain
- backend services,
- batch and stream processing infrastructure,
- batch and stream platforms,
- standardized patterns, libraries, frameworks and tooling for building streaming, batch processing and other applications
- Support building a healthy engineering culture and uphold code quality, testing and best practices
- Partner with other world-class engineers, product, data, and other cross-functional partners to roll out our centralized messaging infrastructure across all of Reddit and to identify and implement state-of-the-art solutions to challenging problems
- Provide technical leadership in domain areas
- Contribute to company-wide forums, initiatives and open-source projects
You will be encouraged and have the autonomy to propose and execute on your own projects and initiatives.
Who You Might Be:
- 5+ years of experience developing internet-scale software, preferably in infrastructure roles
- Experience working with and preferably provisioning, operating and maintaining Apache Kafka
- Preferably experience working with stream processing, batch processing and/or workflow systems such as Apache Flink, Apache Spark, and Apache Airflow
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages, such as Python, Go, Rust, Java or C++
- Preferably experience contributing to open-source projects
- Excellent collaborative, communication and documentation skills
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].
Founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005, Reddit is an online community where users submit, vote, and comment on content, news, and discussions. Nicknamed "the front page of the internet," Reddit is one of the top ten sites in the United States (source: Alexa), with hundreds of millions of users each month on desktop, mobile web, and our official Android/iOS apps.
Want to learn more about Reddit? Visit Reddit's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos