Software Data Engineer
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The Reddit Security team is rapidly developing, and this is an opportunity to get in and have an outsized impact on a highly skilled and motivated team. We look for humble experts with a relentlessly resourceful and entrepreneurial, “can do” view of security. We want to deliver facts and not FUD to the business to enable Reddit to manage risk more effectively. Culture is important to us and a learning and developing mentality is vital regardless of the work assigned.
If you are passionate about building, security and data engineering, and making it easy for peers to adopt security best practices, we need you. The ideal candidate will work to build a scalable Detection and Incident Response platform to detect security events and anomalies across Reddit’s technical ecosystem (endpoints, Kubernetes, and cloud). At Reddit’s scale, we’ve got a lot of data, which means building and managing ingestion pipelines, processing rules, and data transformations, and deriving actionable intelligence and alerting from this data is key. In addition, this position will assist in building and operating ETLs and alerting pipelines based on this data, integrating with security operations automation technologies, and help enrich detections that are passed to Security Operations engineers.
What You'll Do:
- Design, build and maintain telemetry and observability related to security components (various logging platforms and eventing spanning various types of sources like endpoints (Mac, Windows, Linux), servers (Linux), Cloud (AWS and GCP), and SaaS applications.
- Design, build, and scale security data warehouse for alerting and investigations including aggregation of data from various sources, correlating data across various sources, etc.
- This platform is expected to scale to 100s of TBs.
- Build a platform to enable Security Analysts to write high-quality detection rules, platform for investigation
- Build a platform to orchestrate remediation spanning various types of assets.
- Lead security initiatives across the organization to close visibility gaps.
- Assist the team in improving our incident response capabilities.
- Represent Reddit’s security program outside of the company at security conferences
What We Can Expect From You:
- (Preferred) 3+ years of experience in building and scale large data processing systems and services.
- (Preferred) Experience with SIEM logging solutions (Splunk, Elastic, SumoLogic, Securonix, Chronicle).
- 3+ years of experience in Software Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, or a Development focused role.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following: Go, Python, C, C++, Java, Perl, Rust
- (Preferred) Experience with AWS, GCP, Terraform, Kafka and Kubernetes
- Experience with Big data technologies (Spark, HDFS, AWS EMR, etc).
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
What You Can Expect From Us:
- Competitive Healthcare Benefits Package
- Quarterly Dependent Care or Pet Care Stipend
- Family Expansion Benefits
- 4 Months Parental Leave with Flexible Return-To-Work Programming
- Professional & Personal Development Stipends
- Unlimited Vacation, Annual Travel Stipend, and 10 Paid Holidays
- Onsite Wellness Classes and Wellness Stipend
- 401k Plan with Employer Contributions
- Monthly Commuter Stipend
- Monthly Cell Phone Allowance
- Paid Volunteer Days, plus Reddit For Good Volunteer Opportunities
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].
Founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005, Reddit is an online community where users submit, vote, and comment on content, news, and discussions. Nicknamed "the front page of the internet," Reddit is one of the top ten sites in the United States (source: Alexa), with hundreds of millions of users each month on desktop, mobile web, and our official Android/iOS apps.
Want to learn more about Reddit? Visit Reddit's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one