Senior Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails - PlateJoy
Red Ventures, Remote
Digital Consumer Choice Platform
PlateJoy is building the technology to power disease prevention and treatment. We believe healthy food changes lives and we're hiring a Senior Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails addition to our team! We're a small engineering team, so you'll be making meaningful contributions that end up in the hands of our end users and improving the work lives of your teammates.
Food intersects with the real world, creating nuanced challenges. Solving these challenges is a collaborative effort between our product and engineering teams and keeps most every day interesting and meaningful. We're currently working with our clinical team to expand our health platform, integrating behavior science into our existing curriculum and data tracking offerings. You might contribute on any of the current and upcoming initiatives by integrating with data APIs, building user experiences (we're leaning into Hotwire), and expanding tools for our health coaches. We practice BDD (using RSpec) and work to keep our domain clean and technical debt paid off.
Even though we're remote, we're a close-knit team, often pairing over Zoom to work through problems and review each other's code. We value creativity, humility, collaboration, and perseverance. We enjoy learning from new team members, sharing best practices, and exploring different approaches together, so we're looking forward to meeting you!
What You'll Do:
- Develop full Rails stack features for user and admin facing stories
- Integrate APIs, some user facing (using oauth 2), others providing behind the scenes enhancements
- Investigate user reported or Sentry-captured issues to discover root causes and devise and implement solutions
- Keep our upgrade path smooth by regularly updating Ruby Gems an NPM packages used by our applications
- Help promote the security of our environments and user data, especially important as we operate in a HIPAA regulated industry
- Collaborate with other engineers and the product team on solutions to help our users make the lifestyle changes necessary to achieve their health goals
- Find and address performance issues
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and communicate best practices
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails 6, PostgreSQL, (transitioning from React to) Hotwire, Haml, Sass, Rspec
What We're Looking For:
- An experienced Ruby on Rails engineer with at least 3 years working on real world problems
- A commitment to—and experience practicing—BDD as a way of writing and maintaining reliable code
- Willingness to teach and to learn
- Delight in building solutions to complex problems and everyday needs alike
- Independent execution, from architecture to implementation (balanced by the fact that we often pair)
- Ideal team players: hungry, humble, and smart; we value those who are curious and strive to be great people to work with
A Red Ventures Brand:
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com.
For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
About Red Ventures
Red Ventures is a leading digital consumer choice platform based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Through deeply integrated brand partnerships and consumer-facing assets, Red Ventures connects online customers with products and services across high-growth industries including home services, financial services, and healthcare.
Want to learn more about Red Ventures? Visit Red Ventures's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.