Director of Corporate Communications
Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading digital-media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the Role:
The Director of Corporate Communications will play a key role within Refinery29's internal Marketing & Communications team, charged with driving global Visibility, Strategy, Vision, and Execution. This person will work with the EVP of Communications and have the ability to make an impact as work closely with members of the senior leadership team. This person will have a seat at the table and able to define and communicate a shared vision for the company, elevate brand awareness and set an overall tone for the organization. The ideal candidate will be someone who inherently connects with the DNA of the brand and is able to work cross-departmentally on integrated strategies and execution plans.
What makes a R29'er?:
- You have commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility and turns dreams into reality.
What you’ll do, as the Director of Corporate Communications:
- Work in conjunction with agency partners on business and trade press including Advertising/Media/Marketing/Hollywood trades and represent R29 at various industry events.
- Build and strengthen in-house media relations capabilities on the business, media and trade side and be responsible for arranging media interviews (print, video, broadcast and online) with executives and manage preparation and research, as well as conducting any necessary follow-up.
- Craft and ensure high quality, accurate press releases, corporate fact sheets, talking points, messaging docs, presentations, and other communications materials for external and internal audiences.
- Conduct quarterly reporting and metrics to quantify PR performance by category and vis-à-vis competitors.
- Handle internal business communications as well as Internal communications
- Identify/manage speaking opportunities at trade industry events (Cannes Lions, CES, Advertising Week, etc.) and pitch content and ideas inside and outside of tech sector.
- Monitor high visibility and business-building awards programs and manage company entries.
- Crisis communications and issues management as required.
- Liaise with key brand partners
- Serve as a spokesperson when necessary.
- Monitor industry news calendars, as well as market-related news and events, to assess proactive opportunities for media outreach
- Management and execution of events including the press, guest list, etc.
- Oversee the production of all collateral materials
- Collaborate with other internal teams on key initiatives, projects, insights/data and goals
What you have:
- You are an established story teller with the ability to amplify our biggest trade moments and advertising programs
- 6-9 years of relevant experience with a successful Media, Technology brand, and/or Ad Trade experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing, prioritizing, and managing integrated, multi-channel ROI-oriented communications strategies
- Superb writing and editing skills and a strong sense of narrative and storytelling
- Excellent verbal communication skills, ability to think in a global manner and the ability to communicate in a clear and persuasive manner
- Strong teamwork, analytical skills, leadership and interpersonal skills, and building/maintaining collaborative relationships
- Strong knowledge of digital communications, emerging platforms, and engaging key digital influencers
- Excellent judgment, special event execution and ability to juggle multiple assignments in fast paced environment
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.