Art Director, Design
Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
What Makes an R29er?
You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
Check out our creative team’s work here: http://www.creative.r29.com/
What you'll do:
- Maintain and advance the Refinery29 visual brand by enforcing brand guidelines across departments, focusing on Editorial, and continuously explore new ways to enhance those guidelines
- Manage Editorial Design team and operations in close collaboration with the Branded Art Director, VP of Photo and Design,and Content Operations Manager.
- Manage, mentor, and direct editorial designers, production designers, and freelance designers; providing direction and taking responsibility for finished projects
- Foster open collaboration with all editorial vertical heads as well as creative Photo and Design team leaders
- Assign design projects to design team members in relation to each individual’s skills and bandwidth.
- Manage the quality and approve design for a range of creative work (homepage to mobile, new emerging platforms, and global sites)
- Track and oversee editorial design KPI’s using internal performance tracking programs to ensure the high traffic and engagement performance on editorial content
- Facilitate and educate editorial design team and editorial team with new practices for newly launched story editing products and template
- Concept and design smart, visually arresting editorial artwork and design features
- Work closely with third party illustrators and provide art direction on specified monthly editorial content, and ensure it is in line with the R29 brand as well as mentor and foster the growing art direction skills of the editorial design leads
- Work in a detail-oriented fashion by delivering projects according to initial specs and requirements
What you have:
- Graphic design and art direction experience with an established digital company or online media publication
- Experience managing and mentoring designers
- Excellent leadership skills
- Be immersed and knowledgeable in design culture, current and past
- A strong balance of identity, typography, layout, and illustration design skills
- An open, positive and collaborative communication style
- A solutions-oriented mentality
- Strong understanding of Editorial day to day operations and production
- Genuine ability to collaborate and contribute to a team effort but also to work independently to deliver on individual responsibilities
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Deep knowledge of and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., InDesign) (Keynote and Powerpoint familiarity is a plus).
- Strong desire to develop creatively and push the R29 visual brand forward
- Ability to illustrate is ideal
For consideration, you must submit your resume and link to your online portfolio. Applications submitted without a portfolio will not be considered.
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.
Want to learn more about Refinery29? Visit Refinery29's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Designer / Motion Designer