Beauty News Writer
Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit Refinery29 for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our French, German, US, and Canadian editions.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles and programs to service and news stories. We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About the role:
- We are in search of someone with an instinctual knack for cutting through the internet noise to deliver smart, original, and exclusive takes on beauty news — including celebrity hair changes, meaningful makeup looks, groundbreaking beauty moments, emerging trends, major sales, and more. We are looking for someone who appreciates and is inspired by beauty’s ability to go beyond the superficial, understanding how it can be a transformative tool, inspiring confidence and a powerful sense of identity. The ideal candidate is a voracious consumer of beauty news and social media, with an ear to the ground on emerging trends, social media, celebrities and influencers, pop culture, and cultural conversations happening in and around the beauty space. A strong stable of contacts, sensitivity and understanding in covering identity-driven topics, and a unique sense of humor are a must.
What you'll do:
- Pitch and write 2-3 originally reported stories a day that deliver sharp, inspiring, informational, and humorous takes on the most compelling and emerging beauty news
- Have and build networks to secure exclusives and elevate news reporting
- Attend industry events and regularly meet with industry experts to stay on the pulse, discovering big trends and news before they hit the mass market
- Be an enthusiastic member of the team, continuously offering fresh ideas and pitches you won’t find at any other publications
- Serve as a positive face for Refinery29 at industry events and functions
What you have:
- Exceptional writing skills, a strong point of view, and sensitivity to identity-driven topics
- A strong understanding of SEO and how to package headlines, photos, and art for audiences across distribution platforms
- A sense of humor and unique voice to cut through the saturated beauty news cycle
- A desire and enthusiasm to find unique, refreshing, and elevated approaches to all news stories — from the latest KKW beauty drop to a celebrity beauty controversy.
- While we are a fun and communal work environment, we always expect good judgement, discretion, and professionalism from our team members
- Understanding that sometimes you will need to work weekends and off-hours depending on breaking news, the news cycle for your beat, and industry events
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable and energized working in a fast-paced, high volume operation
- Collaborative and open to feedback in pursuit of constantly pushing content to new heights
- Ready to adapt to an ever-changing environment and industry
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.
Want to learn more about Refinery29? Visit Refinery29's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Jobs You May Like
First Look Media
Philanthropy Operations Manager
First Look Media, New York, NY