Senior Editor, Fashion & Culture
Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit Refinery29 for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our French, German, US, and Canadian editions.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles and programs to service and slideshows. We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, and appreciate its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About the role:
- Refinery29 is in pursuit of a smart, savvy, opinionated Senior Fashion and Culture Editor. R29 Fashion celebrates and supports the power style and clothing have in helping women and people discover their own unique sense of identity. Neither fashion nor style are prescriptive at Refinery29—instead, we believe personal style is a tool for confidence, self expression, and resources that make us feel like our best selves. R29 Fashion and Culture also explores the business of fashion, the people shaping the industry and the ideas and things that are driving us to wear AND share. The priorities for the team are exploring ways in which the industry can improve racial diversity, sustainability, size options, accessibility, and queer representation, while acknowledging the very real cultural impact that fashion has. This Senior Editor will have a knack for driving inspiration, conversation, and not just tracking fashion and culture news, but creating it. You instinctually see fashion through a 360 degree lens and how it directly relates to pop culture, politics, and the world around us. You are bright, curious, and aim to deliver quality storytelling that gets people talking — think: cultural commentary, unconventional styling tips, sourcing what’s NEXT from influencers and Instagram, all delivered with wit and a sense of humor. You care deeply about R29 Fashion’s ability to drive influential conversations in this space, constantly elevating Refinery29 as a thought leader in Fashion and the world of style. You are optimistic, driven, and are a generous collaborator, always eager to make a story stronger and more impactful.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with Fashion and Culture Director to constantly challenge the fashion team to conceive and execute the most cutting-edge content online, creating sharp programming that is voicey, stylish, shareable, and NEW
- Conceptualize, pitch, and execute forward-thinking and disruptive feature stories — including original photo shoots — that ensure R29 continues to lead in the fashion space
- Help create up to 5 fashion stories per day by writing or editing stories from staff writers and freelance contributors
- Manage and expand our network of freelance writers and designersWork with Fashion and Culture Director to ensure Fashion meets monthly production and traffic goals
- Represent R29 at style-related events and panels where necessary, including New York Fashion Week and applicable press trips
- Work with Fashion and Culture Director and Global Editor in Chief on existing tentpole initiatives, like 67% and 29 Big (Fashion) Ideas, and conceptualizing new, disruptive, and press-worthy moments
- Ensure that all Refinery29 content promotes size and racial diversity, and constantly committing to pushing the realms of inclusivity
What You’ll Have:
- Relevant experience at a publication or digital media company where you acted as both a manager and mentor
- A positive, intuitive/proactive, and collaborative mindset that wants to push content to the next-level
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior judgment and discretion
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working as part of a fast-paced, high volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a leader
- Understanding that sometimes you will need to work weekends and off-hours depending on breaking news, the news cycle for your beat, and industry events
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.