Senior Beauty Editor
Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit Refinery29 for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our French, German, US, and Canadian editions.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles and programs to service and trending stories We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About The role:
- Refinery29 is looking for a not-so-ordinary senior beauty editor to join our team. Our star candidate is a leader who inspires the team to rise to their potential with thoughtful edits and a collaborative energy. This person will help grow the writers on the team as well as some freelancers, making sure the content is smart, elevated, and leading the beauty conversation. They will also contribute originally reported features of their own — and work with our photo and art teams to make the pieces really shine. This person should have a clear vision, standout ideas, strong industry contacts, experience on set, superior judgement, a passion for managing and mentorship, and a desire to represent the brand at events, press opportunities, and sales calls.
What you'll do:
- Writing 3-4 features per month, including original photoshoots
- Top editing 6-8 stories per day, and mentoring writers to craft all work (from breaking celebrity news to longform features) to its highest potential
- Pitching, writing, and contributing to larger content packages through the year
- Recruiting and editing strong freelance writers and working with them on pitches
- Attending industry events and serving as a representative of Refinery29 Beauty
- Securing exclusives, and investigative reports; making sure our beauty coverage is seen as a leader in the field
- Occasionally liaising between sales and branded teams
What you have:
- 5 years of relevant experience
- A strong, clean writer and exceptionally skilled editor, with a keen understanding of grammar, structure, and compelling storytelling
- An ideas machine, with a vision for helping the team craft smart daily pitches as well as bigger feature moments
- A sense of humor, strong point of view, and sensitivity to covering identity-driven topics
- A strong understanding of SEO and how to package headlines, photos, and art for multiple distribution channels
- Established contacts in the industry and ability to represent the brand in sales calls and public speaking events
- Superior judgement and discretion
- Understanding that sometimes you will need to work weekends and off-hours depending on breaking news, the news cycle for your beat, and industry events.
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team
- Ready to adapt with an ever-changing environment
- A collaborative team player with a positive attitude
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.
Want to learn more about Refinery29? Visit Refinery29's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Jobs You May Like
First Look Media
Audience Engagement Producer, The Intercept
First Look Media, New York, NY