Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading digital media and entertainment company focused on women, with a global audience footprint of 350 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse storytelling. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the team: The Editorial Team is a fast-paced, constantly evolving group of talented writers and editors striving to deliver the most original and thought-provoking news and trends to help users through all facets of their lives. We report on six categories: Lifestyle (food, home, travel, work, money, tech), News & Politics, Fashion & Culture, Beauty, Wellness, and Entertainment.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility even in the toughest challenges, turning dreams into reality.
What you'll do:
- Report to the SVP, Editorial Strategy & Development, and collaborate closely with the Global Editor In Chief, VP of Editorial Operations, and category directors in ensuring stories and packages are executed to their fullest potential across the site.
- Edit daily stories across all seven verticals. This will include daily news items, op-eds, second day stories, opinion pieces, and longer lead features on a range of topics.
- Generate original ideas around major news moments, whether that news is happening in the world of entertainment, fashion, or politics.
- Support in the shaping and elevating of category-level features, special packages, and enterprise work.
- Lend packaging expertise, crafting smart, clicky headlines, leads, and visual elements.
- Expand R29’s network of writers, thought leaders, and influencers, and work with those people on exclusive news, first-person contributions, and collaborations/partnerships.
- Work with the category directors on developing younger editors and juniors writers. Help team members find their own voices and improve their understanding of structure, angle, and reporting.
- Ensure that integrity, brand values, and quality are first and foremost priorities, and that the editorial quality for which is R29 is known is upheld and further elevated.
What you have:
- 8 to 10 years of editing experience
- General interest in topics related to women, ranging from entertainment, lifestyle and fashion, to news, politics, work and money.
- Excellent news judgement and an ability to quickly generate original ideas around news moments.
- Exceptional creative instincts when it comes to angles, voice, point of view, and packaging of stories.
- Access to a roster of excellent freelancers.
- Experience developing writers and editors.
- A great voice and ability to make copy snappier, smarter, and more refined.
- Knowledge and skill in story structure, packaging, and SEO
- Plugged into the zeitgeist
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a thought leader
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.