Fashion News Writer
Refinery29, New York, NY
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading digital media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from the original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the team:
R29 Fashion celebrates and supports the power that style and clothing have in helping people discover their own unique sense of identity. Neither fashion nor style are prescriptive at Refinery29—instead, we believe personal style is a tool for confidence, self expression, and resources that make us feel like our best selves. R29 Fashion and Culture also explores the business of fashion, the people shaping the industry, and the ideas and things that are driving us to wear AND share. The priorities for the team are exploring ways in which the industry can improve racial diversity, sustainability, size options, accessibility, and queer representation, while acknowledging the very real cultural impact that fashion has — and having fun in the process.
R29 is looking for a passionate, strategic news writer to cover the fashion industry daily, from trending style-related news to the category’s intersection with pop culture. Our Fashion Writer should also have a proven track record for delivering original breakout ideas and angles that have the power to drive conversation beyond the hardcore fashion enthusiast. As a reporter, this candidate should have experience sourcing original fashion content, including news and market stories, interviews, industry event coverage, and hunting down exclusives and hidden content opportunities. This writer will also produce a handful of longer-lead features by approval each quarter and specifically as they relate to timely fashion-related events.
This news writer will have a knack for covering and uncovering fashion news, and driving the conversation with big and new ideas; in short, not just tracking fashion and culture news, but creating it. You instinctually see fashion through a 360 degree lens and how it directly relates to pop culture, politics, and the world around us. You are bright, curious, and aim to deliver quality storytelling that gets people talking — think: cultural commentary, unconventional styling tips, sourcing what’s NEXT from influencers and Instagram, all delivered with wit and a sense of humor. You care deeply about R29 Fashion’s ability to drive influential conversations in this space, constantly elevating Refinery29 as a thought leader in Fashion and the world of style. You are optimistic, driven, and are a generous collaborator, always eager to make a story stronger and more impactful.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have commitment and passion about the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential.
What you'll do:
- Work with Fashion and Culture Director, Senior Fashion Editor, Global Editor-in-Chief and other editorial colleagues to pitch, take on assignments, and write thoughtful, creative takes on daily trending/news items as well as longer lead stories such as profiles/interviews, essays, and reported features. Output is a minimum of two stories per day, 10 per week (flexible based on time of year and category needs).
- Report and cover relevant fashion events, including Fashion Week, award show red carpets, etc.
- Work with the content strategy and social teams in order to hit production numbers and traffic goals
- Represent R29 at industry events, market appointments as needed; establish and strengthen industry relationships for access and exclusives
What you have:
- A minimum of 2 years experience writing for a highly trafficked, high-volume website
- Deep knowledge of the fashion industry, with strong opinions that are in line with Refinery29’s inclusive, women-positive ethos
- Must be a quick, agile, and efficient worker, ready to turn around clean, smart copy
- A preexisting network of sources, industry connections, and contacts to find and break news
- Must be comfortable collaborating with a team of writers and editors, but also able to work independently
- Proven ability to produce original reporting with a unique POV that attracts media attention
- Proficient in search engine optimization and identifying trending topics
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.
Want to learn more about Refinery29? Visit Refinery29's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!
Jobs You May Like
First Look Media
Audience Engagement Producer, The Intercept
First Look Media, New York, NY