Senior Software Engineer, Media
Refinery29, New York
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life
Refinery29 is the leading digital media company for young women. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by delivering optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. Focused around core values of individuality, inclusivity, and impact, we create content that speaks to 360 degrees of a woman’s life, including editorial articles, original video programming, sharable social content across a variety of platforms, and live experiences. Our content sits at the intersection of style and substance, helping our audience live a more informed and inspired life.
About the team:
Refinery29 is seeking a senior software engineer for our Media team. We’re looking for someone who’s excited by our team’s core mission of growing our audience, maximizing user engagement of content, and monetizing with effective ad products.
This role is perfect for a candidate who would like to work on external-facing products that reach our millions of users, and who wants to make big decisions about the APIs used by an entire organization.
What Makes an R29er?
You have commitment and passion about the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential.
About our Engineering organization:
- We like Node, Redis, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Solr, Nginx, and RabbitMQ
- We ❤️ test-driven development, code reviews, and pair programming
- We experiment with process and try to find the right flavor of Agile for each team
- We want you to help us build out micro-services and deepen our real-time monitoring
- Work with a small team of talented engineers, pair programming often to gain and share knowledge
- Write fast and scalable backend code, while occasionally dropping into the frontend
- Rapidly iterate on features that will bring more users to Refinery29, both through our website and the distribution platforms to which we push content (Google AMP, Facebook Instant Article, Apple News)
- Help brainstorm and architect products that serve our team’s north star: machine-aided content on www.refinery29.com
- Participate in the process of building new APIs. Have strong opinions for or against Node as a primary backend language? Think opinionated frameworks are overused, or maybe not used enough? We want to hear it all
- Own the technical design and implementation of features from start to finish, working with our product and design partners at every step along the way
- You have 3+ years of experience pushing out code to production
- You want to learn more about Refinery29 as a business, especially its user growth strategy
- You care about code quality, good practices, and using appropriate design patterns
- You love automated testing and try to practice TDD as much as possible
- You’re interested in leveraging your knowledge to shape our rapidly maturing stack
- You’d like to help cultivate an inclusive, positive work environment with a team that trusts its individual members
Refinery29 does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Refinery29 employees or any other company location. Refinery29 is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. Through award-winning original programming, Refinery29 connects a fast-growing audience of users with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.
Want to learn more about Refinery29? Visit www.Refinery29.com
Jobs You May Like
Fearless, Baltimore - Fearless HQ
Senior Front End Developer
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Senior Software Engineer
Intersection, New York, NY
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Patreon, San Francisco
Senior Node.js Engineer
Invoice2go, Redwood City
Technical Support Generalist
Carbon, Redwood City