Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join our leadership team. As a studio leader, you will play a huge part in creating a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. You will have ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral (and new!) part of our leadership team, you will be challenged to solve complex problems, drive change, and challenge our thinking. We are looking for a positive, humble, and highly-motivated leader who can teach us a thing or two. Running a high-performing studio is a collective effort, and you will play a critical role in that effort – shaping and guiding the future growth of the studio.
As our COO, you will…
- Partner with our General Manager to build a high-performing studio that supports great talent in doing their best work
- Design and drive the strategic vision and roadmap for our operational teams
- Build and lead a high-performing operational team (Talent, Marketing & Communications, Space Planning, IT, Legal, Finance & BI) that is aligned with supporting our developers in doing their best work
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the studio, and keep the GM appraised of significant events
- Support our GM in developing and overseeing the long-term business strategies of the studio
- Collaborate with our GM to ensure that our values, people and operational teams are continuously in alignment with our product goals
- Support the execution and quality of our games by driving the continuous improvement of our people and processes to enable talent and innovation at all levels of the studio
- Create focus for your teams and operational leaders – cut the noise, guide them through priority setting, and hold them accountable to constantly executing on meaningful work
- Partner with our Executive Producers to ensure they have the support needed to deliver on our studio roadmap
- Partner with our GM and Finance Director to lead our annual budgeting and operational plans that support our long-term financial strategy
- Assess and manage risks to the studio – whether it be projects, people or resourcing
- Build a positive work environment focused on accountability, results and having a ton of fun
Ideally, you are...
- Experienced – 7+ years of senior leadership experience in operations in a comparable industry; ideally you’ve worked in games, entertainment or tech
- Strong understanding of business operations (HR, Finance, IT, etc) and experience leading cross-functional teams
- Substantial experience working in companies that have gone through high-change or growth
- Post-secondary education in business, leadership, marketing and/or game development
- Results driven – you have an impressive track record of building teams, rallying people, and consistently achieving results
- Service minded – you are laser focused on providing best-in-class experiences to our candidates, employees and players
- Player focused – you understand how the work our operational teams do impacts the quality of projects we deliver to our players
- A clear communicator – you understand the impact of your words and actions in encouraging and activating those around you
- A change agent – you lead change, explain ‘the why’ behind change and pursue improvement relentlessly
And believe in...
- Relationships matter – you listen, care deeply, ask questions, and understand the role that people play in our studio success
- Managerial courage – you are transparent, practice direct feedback, make decisions, and deal head-on with problems when they come up!
- Leading by example – you create accountability, apologize when you’ve made a mistake, and practice what you preach
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Have you heard? We’re making Age of Empires IV!
About Relic Entertainment
About us Relic (acquired by SEGA in 2013) is founded on the premise that it is entirely possible to ship first class, genre altering, AAA titles – and have a life. If you love games and enjoy the process of perfecting something collaboratively – you’ll enjoy our culture. We believe great games start with great employees, so we invest in ours. That investment includes planning our development cycles carefully to minimize overtime; regular team events to bond and de-stress; organizational transparency so we’re all on the same page. Our goal is to be the best developer of innovative and highly creative video game entertainment. This means always pushing the boundaries. Achieving this requires passion, creativity, discipline and teamwork which are the cornerstones of the Relic workspace. By cultivating an open environment that encourages creative freedom, risk tolerance and attention to detail, we allow ourselves the luxury of continual re-evaluation without sacrificing momentum. We are an agile organization and we use the SCRUM methodology to facilitate our development process. As a result, both our staff and our games are continually improving. Embracing innovation, constantly examining our assumptions and emphasizing work life balance allows us to do something special – to go further. Further means: • PC Gamer “Game of the Year” – Twice. • PC Gamer “Highest rated RTS” – Ever. • IGN, Gamespy and Gamespot Expansion of the Year • IGN and Gamespy Developer of the Year
Want to learn more about Relic Entertainment? Visit Relic Entertainment's website.
Jobs You May Like
Customer Success Manager
Ematic Solutions, Taipei, Taiwan
Restaurant General Manager
sweetgreen, Boston, MA
Developer Support Engineer, Graphics
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA
Business Operations Manager
Postmates, San Francisco
Brookfield Residential, Edmonton
Client Director (Tech Focus)
Landor, San Francisco