Do you count pointer dereferences while reading code?
Do you yearn to split up your structures because ‘this code’ does not need ‘that data’?
Is it an affront to you when something is slow and you do not immediately know why?
If so, our Senior Engine Programmer role for our Age of Empires IV team might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for a Senior Engine Programmer to join the team at our HQ in Vancouver, Canada. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As our Senior Engine Programmer you will…
- Identify performance issues
- Design, estimate, and implement optimizations
- Build infrastructure to enable the team to more easily meet performance goals
- Propose and implement large architectural changes to achieve global performance wins
- Look at ways to alter our content conditioning tools to make our content more efficient
- Work with teammates to correct performance issues
- Work with other programmers to help them write more efficient code
- Ensure performance measurements can be consistently reproduced
We’re looking for someone who has…
- 5+ years of programming experience
- A computer Science or Engineering degree (or equivalent experience)
- Shipped multiple performance-sensitive games
- Strong knowledge of C++
- Strong knowledge of math(s) and linear algebra
- Knowledge of X86, X64, and/or PowerPC assembly
- Deep understanding of modern processors and their performance capabilities
- A positive attitude and a sense of humour
- A love for games!
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Experience in games or have shipped a AAA or console title
- Have written your own OS (not likely, but we thought we would ask)
- Knowledge of C#
- A website or github account with samples of your code
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, and Hardlight Studio) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Have you heard? We’re making Age of Empires IV!
Check out the trailer here and follow along on social:
About Relic Entertainment
About us Relic (acquired by SEGA in 2013) is founded on the premise that it is entirely possible to ship first class, genre altering, AAA titles – and have a life. If you love games and enjoy the process of perfecting something collaboratively – you’ll enjoy our culture. We believe great games start with great employees, so we invest in ours. That investment includes planning our development cycles carefully to minimize overtime; regular team events to bond and de-stress; organizational transparency so we’re all on the same page. Our goal is to be the best developer of innovative and highly creative video game entertainment. This means always pushing the boundaries. Achieving this requires passion, creativity, discipline and teamwork which are the cornerstones of the Relic workspace. By cultivating an open environment that encourages creative freedom, risk tolerance and attention to detail, we allow ourselves the luxury of continual re-evaluation without sacrificing momentum. We are an agile organization and we use the SCRUM methodology to facilitate our development process. As a result, both our staff and our games are continually improving. Embracing innovation, constantly examining our assumptions and emphasizing work life balance allows us to do something special – to go further. Further means: • PC Gamer “Game of the Year” – Twice. • PC Gamer “Highest rated RTS” – Ever. • IGN, Gamespy and Gamespot Expansion of the Year • IGN and Gamespy Developer of the Year