- Design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Rover's engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Understand the needs of the engineering team in order to plan and deploy capacity and capability ahead of need
- Build an infrastructure that has a strong emphasis on user experience
- See "Example Projects" for a list of project you could work on
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Systems Thinking - Lifecycle, Edge Cases, Failure Modes, Interactions
- Comfortable with shell scripting
- Can debug problems at any level across the entire stack leveraging a variety of visibility and monitoring tools and strategies
- Works to understand the needs of stakeholders and customers
- Respect production environments and operate accordingly
- This is not a checklist of requirements. This is the type of candidate we are looking for. We are eager to invest in our people and train them in any skills they may need.
Projects you could work on:
- Kubernetes Migration - We are currently in the process of moving the production systems powering rover.com from an EC2 based infrastructure to running entirely in Kubernetes (on top of EC2).
- Automated Staging Environments - Next year we are going to leverage our Kubernetes infrastructure to make staging environments dynamically and quickly available to our engineers.
- Multi-Region Availability for Key Systems - Our systems are designed to handle the failure of individual machines and availability zones. The next frontier for us from a reliability perspective is automated region level failure handling for key production systems.
- Automated Service Provisioning - We are working to define the conventions, build the systems, and develop the tooling to allow software engineers to deploy services into production without needing to interact with an operations team.
- Dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
- Lightweight, Agile processes constantly improved with retrospectives.
- Fully automated testing and deployment system. Just merge your branch and it ships.
- Integrated teams with developers and designers work side-by-side.
- Data-driven decision making with A/B testing.
- Contributions back into the open source community.
- We are friendly, supportive and respectful, and we pay attention to the impact and quality of our work.
- Work/Life balance
Why we'll hire you:
- Your qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values (https://www.rover.com/careers/core-values/)
- You have experience using our tools or similar ones
- You strive for continuous improvement
- You can pitch your own ideas and shepherd them through to completion
- You have a sense for materiality, and know when to call it ‘good enough’ and ship or when to put in the extra time to polish
- You play nicely with others
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
About The Dog People Founded in 2011 and based in Seattle, WA, Rover is the nation's largest network of 5-star pet sitters and dog walkers. Whether you need in-home dog boarding, pet sitting, dog walking, or day care, Rover connects pet parents with dog people who’ll treat their pets like family. Rover sitters are your rainy-day-dog-walkers. Your every-day-belly-rubbers. Your tug-of-war players. Your middle-of-the-night-pee-breakers. Because we get it—your dog is family. And when you can’t be there, you can trust us to keep your dog happy, healthy, and sweet as ever. But it’s not just about dog love. Rover is also an award-winning technology business committed to making pet care safe, easy, and affordable so that everyone can experience the unconditional love of a dog. So for the frequent butt-sniffers, the sock-stealers, the table-side beggars and the clicker-trained champions: We’re your people. And for the world travelers, the long-day-at-work-ers, the business-trip jetsetters, the swing-shift survivors: We’re your people, too. Whatever you and your dog are into, we’re into it, too. And we’ve got your back. Anytime. Anywhere.