Samsara’s network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that continually collects and stores observations about the world in near real-time. These sensors are the building blocks on top of which Samsara builds specific solutions for industries such as commercial fleet management and industrial center monitoring. Through unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
The ideal candidate for engineering director has a successful background as an engineer, but also understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration.
As an engineering director, you will lead a team of up to 25 engineers on the full-stack team.
- Establishing team goals, metrics and roadmaps
- Coaching & Mentoring managers & technical leads
- Conducting regular 1-1s and performance evaluations
- Defining team roles and processes to help the team scale
- Recruiting, hiring, and building teams to keep up with demand of growing company
- Working with Product Management to prioritize feature and new product development
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement through blameless postmortems
- And still coding on occasion to keep your sanity…
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases and giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Software engineers on the full-stack team will work on designing and developing features for our web platform. This involves working on our backend log-processing and data analytics systems, as well as building out new user interfaces. Full-stack will tackle engineering challenges ranging from aggregating data from thousands of devices and sensors to presenting the data in intuitive ways that provide actionable insights for our customers’ operations.
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
An ideal candidate:
- Has a successful history as an individual contributor software developer
- Has experience delivering software, leading teams, and managing engineers
- Has interest in understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Has excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to establish a culture of continuous improvement
If you are excited by the idea of working at a fast growing company, being constantly challenged by and learning from high-caliber engineers, owning and shaping full-stack processes and ultimately growing a world-class engineering team, we’d love to have you join our team!
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.
Want to learn more about Samsara? Visit Samsara's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Architect - Business Intelligence Team
Looker, San Francisco Bay Area
Software Engineer - Ruby/Rails (DC)
Nava, Washington, DC
Technical Services Engineer
MongoDB, New York City or Toronto
Software Engineer, Delivery Platform
Associate Data Scientist-New Grad
Factual, Los Angeles