Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
Samsara is looking for a Hardware Development Leader to manage and grow a team that create all of Samsara’s Hardware products from concept and architecture through production. This is a director role that reports to the VP of Hardware Engineering and Operations and is based in our San Francisco HQ.
A Director of Hardware Engineering will:
- Lead a Team: Develop and grow an excellent hardware design team with a passion for shipping terrific product to customers
- Create detailed hardware specifications, help define the hardware roadmap and navigate the tradeoffs between performance, quality, time to market, and cost
- Advance the development methodologies and processes that enable scaling the hardware engineering team
- Develop Relationships: We partner with top semiconductor, JDM, certification and component companies to help design, validate, certify, and manufacture our products
- Champion quality activities across development and production
- Research: Stay abreast of the latest silicon advancements and companies and evaluate
- Negotiate commercial terms, schedules, resources, and test plans with partners in coordination with Supply Chain leadership
- Championing, role modeling, and embedding Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hiring, developing, and leading an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
An ideal candidate has:
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Successful track record of 10+ years relevant experience in product development (commercial and consumer)
- Experience building a team of engineers and hands-on technical leadership
- Solid experience in digital and analog circuit design; low power devices, RF and electromechanical design
- Ability to travel up to 15% to Asia when necessary
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.