Staff Embedded Software Engineer - Linux App
Samsara, Bay Area, Atlanta, or Remote - US/Canada
See jobs at Samsara
Who We Are
Samsara is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses and organizations that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Samsara operates in North America and Europe and serves more than 20,000 customers across a wide range of industries including transportation, wholesale and retail trade, construction, field services, logistics, utilities and energy, government, healthcare and education, manufacturing and food and beverage. Learn more about Samsara's mission to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy at www.samsara.com.
About the role:
Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real-time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
This role is based on our telematics embedded team which works on Samsara’s Vehicle Gateways, the highest volume product and backbone to Samsara’s business - providing the data and connectivity foundational to fleet and safety management.
Our Vehicle Gateways are Linux based platforms with cellular / wifi / bluetooth / gnss radios that connect to vehicles’ diagnostics ports for real time telemetry and connect to an array of accessories. We are looking for an embedded software engineer with a background in vehicle network / CAN systems. This person will lead the architecture, design and development of the software that connects our products to our customers’ vehicles and provides the telematics information that powers all of Samsara.
In this role, you may work on:
- Architecting software systems to efficiently interface with multiple concurrent diagnostics busses and protocols.
- Developing arbitration techniques and algorithms that allow the devices to quickly, safely and automatically determine their diagnostics environment.
- Design and build simulation and replay solutions to enable faster testing & qualification.
- Mentor and lead other engineers on the team.
- OBD protocol debugging through the use of various Logic/CAN analyzers for the validation of a given OBD standard or specification.
- Triage, and/or troubleshoot bugs or new enhancements relating to vehicle diagnostics.
- Bringing up a new platform - configuring I/O, testing connectivity, validating design, debugging init.
- As a Staff engineer at Samsara you will be expected to lead across teams to drive large scale architecture and long term roadmap.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
An ideal candidate would:
- Have at least 8 years experience working in embedded Linux environments.
- Have at least 4 years developing software involving vehicle diagnostic protocols such as J1939, J1979, J1587 and busses such as CAN, K-Line, J1708, J1850, etc.
- Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
- Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
- Have a strong drive to solve puzzles - to discover hidden patterns and find unexpected variances.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email [email protected] or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global full-time employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance, growth and development opportunities, regular virtual team and company events, and other location-based perks. Review all of Samsara's current benefit offerings at rewards.samsara.com.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work. We value in person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office. We also offer a co-working support program for employees who are not located near a Samsara office. For more information about our Flexible Work model, please see our blog post here.
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.
Want to learn more about Samsara? Visit Samsara's website.
The social news and entertainment company.