Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
Samsara hardware products are plug and play, and core to the product portfolio. The hardware team is responsible for industrial design, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and supply chain. Everyone here has a big impact on bringing products to market. We focus on the key creative/design/problem-solving and bolster our development resources with top JDMs, toolmakers, and suppliers. We apply a genuine sense of curiosity, urgency, and dedication to delivering truly functional and relevant products that enrich the customers’ experience.
We're looking for a Product Designer (Mechanical Engineer) to create the electro-mechanical system assemblies, packaging, and accessories. This position is based in our San Francisco HQ.
A Product Designer - Mechanical Engineer may work on:
- Diving into industrial design explorations and carrying out detailed CAD designs.
- Rapidly iterating your design by going out in the field to deploy prototypes and obtain immediate user feedback.
- Researching and evaluating materials, manufacturing processes, and the manufacturers themselves (injection molding, metal fabrication, etc.)
- Designing for manufacturing and assembly. Accounting for part/assembly tolerances, process control, and risk mitigation.
- Coordinating with overseas manufacturing partners from tooling kick-off through production release.
- Being a part of a fun and collaborative team with some of the best cross-functional engineers and product managers in hardware
- Championing, role modeling, and embedding Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
An ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of hands-on product design experience
- Critical thinker with an appetite for problem-solving
- Experience working with overseas vendors
- 3D CAD experience required, Siemens NX preferred
- Multiple products launch under the belt
- Teamwork: You should be able to communicate well with and efficiently collaborate with multi-functional team members, and efficiently collaborate with team members to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community.
- Excellent communication skills: both written and verbal, ability to communicate design ideas.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.