Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised over $530M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, and Dragoneer.
Samsara’s Industrial team operates as a startup within a startup and is designed to iterate extremely quickly to deliver new products for new customers across industries including manufacturing, food and beverage, energy, and utilities. We are building easy to manage, easy to deploy, massively scalable, internet-connected sensors to create real business outcomes for our customers: reduced maintenance costs, less downtime, increased efficiency, higher throughput, and better customer service.
This is a unique opportunity to join a small team in a hyper-growth company and have an outsized impact across different aspects of the business. The Industrial team is small, moves fast, and will require you to wear many hats across product, engineering, sales, marketing, and operations.
As a firmware engineer at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on devices deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our microcontroller based platforms, Golang for our linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
A Senior Embedded System Engineers at Samsara might work on:
- Bringing up a new platform - configuring I/O, testing connectivity, validating design, debugging init
- Writing peripheral drivers, bootloaders, DMA pipelines, core management layers (power manager, connectivity manager, etc).
- Component selection: partner with hardware in selecting components based on system and customer needs, prototyping for in house and beta customer use.
- Designing efficient protocols and implementing efficient hardware management to maximize battery life of a sensor or gateway.
- Championing, role modeling, and embedding Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
An ideal candidate will:
- Have at least 4 years experience working in bare metal, RTOS, and/or embedded Linux environments.
- Have experience bringing up linux or embedded devices.
- Be excited about sensors (accelerometer, IR, GPS), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN), distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems.
- Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
- Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.