Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Infrastructure Engineer to join our Infrastructure team.
Samsara’s platform supports industries that power our economy. From managing truck fleets, to dispatching emergency vehicles, to securing warehouses, our customers depend on us for their critical operations. As an engineer on the Infrastructure team, your goal will be to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and microservices that power Samsara’s platform. Your decisions will have a significant impact on Samsara and on our customers.
On this team, we seek to build foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly. We maintain a set of capabilities we provide to the rest of engineering, such as data storage, container orchestration, real-time data ingestion, and graphql execution. We also provide services to enhance the productivity of developers across a variety of product groups, including local and CI build systems, deployment machinery, language & framework upgrades and tooling for testing. You will have an opportunity to work closely with users who use the products you helped build everyday, collecting immediate feedback to continuously improve our infrastructure. There is a lot of work to do to support our rapidly growing customer base, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
In this role, you will:
- Design and build infrastructure to support the development of a highly available real-time streaming platform that collects data from Samsara’s connected devices.
- Continuously improve our reliability and scale, while collaborating with product teams to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and optimize performance.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling and processes.
- Debug and resolve production issues across varying services and levels of the stack.
- Build a great customer experience for people using our infrastructure.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 4+ years of experience on infrastructure-focused teams.
- Experience working with web services deployed on Cloud providers such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
An ideal candidate also:
- Has 4+ years of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Is experienced at writing high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go).
- Is adept at building and using observability tools, frameworks, and standards.
- Is proficient with relational databases such as MySQL, caching technologies like Redis and NoSQL databases like DynamoDB
- Knows their way around a UNIX shell and a Linux operating system.
- Enjoys thinking about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes.
- Enjoys working collaboratively with developers of different focuses (such as frontend, mobile, firmware, ML/computer vision).
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at [email protected].
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.
Want to learn more about Samsara? Visit Samsara's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one