Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,600 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
We are the Product Platform team responsible for building foundational systems that drive the Samsara software products. Examples include Alerts, Workflows, Notifications, Reports, User Management, Roles and Permissions, Geo Services, Billing and Invoice etc. We are looking for a Staff Engineer to help us lead the technical direction for the team. As a Staff Engineer at Samsara, you will be a technical leader that brings fresh ideas and expertise to guide the team’s technical design and architecture and enable increasingly complex features and customer use cases. You will work on specific projects critical to Samsara’s needs alongside other highly-skilled Samsara engineers and push Samsara’s technical capabilities forward.
In this role, you will:
- Drive technology choices, implementing services, and/or establishing architectural patterns that have a broad and lasting impact on Samsara's platform
- Identify opportunities and initiate strategic conversations to influence the direction of platform technology and engineering culture
- Architect, design, and develop software that enables Samsara to operate at scale
Lead teams in delivering products and capabilities that contribute to Samsara’s products and revenue
Deliver impact by solving the hardest technical problems and enabling products to reach the market quickly and successfully with high quality
- Keep a platform first approach while collaborating with our infrastructure and product teams to build products, tools and solutions
- Act as a multiplier for the team, elevating the impact and output of every team member
- Contribute to Samsara’s engineering brand by representing Samsara in external-facing forums
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years of experience in software design, development, and algorithm related solutions with at least 2 of those years in an architect or leadership role
- Stellar programming/coding fundamentals
- 2+ year of experience building large scale distributed systems
- 2+ years experience leading cross-organization projects
An ideal candidate also has:
- Mastery in data modeling and full-stack application architecture at a massive scale
- Expertise working on large-scale enterprise software applications
- Demonstrated ability to ship production-quality software in a dynamic environment
- Expert level knowledge of at-scale stream processing decision engines
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email [email protected] or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.
About Breakthroughs in semiconductors are making sensors smaller and radically cheaper, and wireless Internet connectivity is becoming ubiquitous. Yet traditional enterprise-scale sensor systems still require complex infrastructure, from hard-wired networks to servers, middleware, and custom code. As a result, sensor projects can take months — if not years — to bring online. Samsara disrupts the traditional sensor model with an integrated, software-centric solution. Our products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software, all tightly-integrated for simple deployment. Samsara was founded in early 2015 by Sanjit Biswas and John Bicket. Sanjit and John previously co-founded Meraki, the cloud networking leader. Meraki was acquired by Cisco for $1.2 billion in 2012, and under Sanjit and John's continued leadership became one of Cisco’s fastest growing businesses. Samsara’s team includes veteran executives and technical leaders from companies including Google, Apple, and Meraki, who bring experience in big data, cloud software, and hardware design. In Sanskrit, "Samsara" is the eternal cycle of life and rebirth.
Want to learn more about Samsara? Visit Samsara's website.
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid