Satellogic, Buenos Aires
Live insights from planet Earth
Satellogic aims to capture every square meter of the Earth's surface to derive insights and enable better decision making for industries, governments, and individuals. Addressing some of humanity’s most pressing challenges, such as providing food or distributing energy for nine billion people without depleting resources, requires real-time planet-scale data. Satellogic has created small, inexpensive satellites, that transmit real-time data and images back home. Our constellation already has several high-resolution satellites in orbit and is growing to 300 in the next few years to provide new insights about our planet.
The Optomechanical Systems Engineer is part of the Optical Payload Systems team, which is tasked with the full life cycle of the Imaging system of the satellite - design, implementation, testing, quality assurance, launch survival, commissioning, on-orbit operability and quality.
For this position, the Optomechanical Systems Engineer will identify, assess, define and track solutions for the optomechanical issues of the optical payload system - related to telescope design such as quality (both plant and on space acceptance/calibration procedures), manufacturability and repeatability of the design; operational loads on orbit such as vibrations and thermal environment, etc; and survival to launch environment.
To achieve this goal, the Optomechanical Systems Engineer will work with other systems engineers such as Structures, Thermal and Optics, and with external and internal suppliers, both of parts (mirrors, lenses, telescopes) and of services, such as the mechanical and optical teams of Satellogic.
In this role, you will:
- Own the optomechanical issues of the optical payload of the satellite on orbit (calibration, environment, feedback to design)
- Own the issues related to manufacturing processes, quality check processes, etc, of the optical payload assembly, integration, and test.
- Design and validate high-level solutions for the optomechanical component of the optical payload
- Track implementation, testing and acceptance process of the selected solution, working with internal vendors (Satellogic’s optical/mechanical team) and/or external vendors (telescopes and parts suppliers)
- In the context of assembly, integration and test of the optics payload, own the ground segment equipment definition for calibration and quality assurance
- Assist on validation and completion of structural and thermal models, and the impact on orbit operability and quality.
What we value
- Degree in optomechanics, or mechanical engineering.
- Courses in optomechanical design and optical alignment mechanisms
- Experience working with optical systems and alignment setups
- Firm knowledge of optical concepts like raytracing, wavefront error, and aberrations
- Experience in adhesive bonds for optical elements
- Experience on finite element analysis (FEA) for optics
- Experience or eager to learn about composite materials for optomechanical systems
- Advanced written and oral English skills
- Travel availability
Satellogic values diversity and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our goal is to enable a real-time understanding of our planet. How will we provide food for nine billion people? How will we generate and distribute energy to this population? How can we achieve that in a sustainable manner, without draining resources from future generations? In the midst of global interconnectedness, accelerated change and rising competitive pressure, we strive to empower companies, governments and individuals to make smarter decisions based on updated global data and insights. By monitoring changes in real time on a planetary scale, we are transforming our relationship with the planet, helping us tackle the most pressing challenges, and creating a new layer of worldwide awareness.
Want to learn more about Satellogic? Visit Satellogic's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sr. Software Engineer - Productivity
C3, Redwood City
Intern - Electrical Engineering (Fall 2019)
Astranis, San Francisco, CA
Top Hat, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Associate Security Analyst Intern, SGRC
PlayStation, San Diego, CA
Software Engineer - GUI
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Software Engineer II
PlayStation, Los Angeles, CA