- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
We’re responsible for keeping Scribd up, responsive, and secure. Our duties include configuration management with Chef, wrestling with tricky Rails bugs, big-data cluster wrangling with Hadoop, mitigating the logo-branded vulnerability du jour, wearing a DBA hat to the InnoDB rodeo, bomb-proofing the mad science lab that is our codebase and, very occasionally, sweeping up the pieces when everything blows up. (We don’t let that last happen often.)
We work on almost every part of our application stack, from the servers and storage through the databases and caches to the application itself. We write code ourselves, including deep in the guts of our product, and developers also come to us for technical guidance. You’ll not simply operate the systems, but be part of the system-building process from the start. We’ve all seen the “worked in dev, ops problem now” meme and reject that world-view.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share these views and are interested in contributing their knowledge, skills, and sound technical judgement to a growing engineering organization. In return, we offer interesting problems, plenty of opportunity to influence key technical decisions, and the chance to top the office pinball high score table.
Our tools and technologies
- Linux (primarily CentOS)
- Ruby (our core codebase is Rails), but with projects in Go and Scala too
- MySQL (Percona), HBase and Elasticsearch
- Hadoop, Hive and Spark, all fed via Kafka
- Nagios, Graphite and Grafana
- Nginx, HAProxy and Varnish, to serve our content to the wider world
Haven’t worked with precisely the same set of technologies we use, but you’ve used something broadly similar? No problem! We’re just as happy to talk FreeBSD or commiserate with your AIX and pains as we are to chat about CentOS.
About the Role
- Develop, operate, and troubleshoot the systems that keep Scribd alive and fast
- Build, maintain and extend our automation. Quelling robot uprisings strictly optional
- Pioneer, evaluate, and deploy new technologies for the entire engineering organization
- Work in partnership with your peers on the product engineering teams
- Be part of an on-call rotation with other members of the DevOps team
- Work independently within a team environment to prioritize workload
- Local candidates are great, but the DevOps team is open to remote candidates and those looking relocate
- 3-5+ years professional experience in an Engineering, Technical Operations, or DevOps role
- Professional experience with at least part of our tech stack, but not necessarily every piece
Why we work here
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc.)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse! https://www.themuse.com/companies/scribd
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance.
We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
About us Based in foggy San Francisco, Scribd is building the world's largest online library of books, audiobooks, comic books, and sheet music. Since we launched our membership reading service in 2013, our readers have clocked more than 20 million hours of reading and listening across all genres. We’ve partnered with some of the world's leading publishers to build a library of more than one million books, audiobooks, and comics, including New York Times bestsellers, Pulitzer Prize winners, celebrity authors and narrators, beloved comics series, acclaimed graphic novels, and reader favorites across every genre, and we get new arrivals every day. We also combine industry-leading discoverability and personalized recommendations by our editorial experts to guide our readers to their next favorite read. In addition to making the best reading service around, we've also built the world's most popular open platform for publishing and sharing documents of all kinds. Since launching the original Scribd platform in 2007, our users have shared more than 80 million documents via Scribd, from landmark court filings to business presentations to academic papers from scholars around the world.
Want to learn more about Scribd? Visit Scribd's website.
Jobs You May Like
DevOps Team Leader - Production Team (H/F)
Vestiaire Collective, Paris
Cloud - Cloud Engineer
Sr Software Engineer, Build and Release
Box, Redwood City, CA
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Senior Software Engineer
Greenhouse, New York, NY
Mark43, Manhattan Beach, California