Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
Second Spectrum is seeking a Network Engineer (contract, i.e you will need to send us an invoice for your work), who has a touch of video software engineering experience, with great flexibility and availability of working hours, to join our optical tracking and video capture team, which deploys a real time video capture system in stadiums all over the world.
Responsibilities will include networking installation design, network performance optimization, network maintenance and troubleshooting, and solutions research for real-time applications.
What You Have:
• 5+ years network engineering experience
• Extensive depth of experience in:
o Networking: Routing, switch and router configuration, High MTU / Jumbo Frames
o Networking protocols: TCP, UDP, IGMP / multicast
o Network administration: DHCP, DNS, masking
o Networking media: single-mode and multi-mode fiber, ethernet, POE, Twinaxial cable
o Networking security: firewall, VPN, certificate deployment and management
o Experience with fiber optics and troubleshooting interface errors
o Networking design: bandwidth, VPN, equipment and throughput constraints
o SNMP router management
• Familiarity with the Linux networking stack
• Ability to independently find creative solutions to hardware and software challenges around low-latency, high-reliability video delivery
• Site reliability engineering: metrics, monitoring, incident response, post-mortem analysis
• Authoring documentation for ongoing troubleshooting and support
What Sets You Apart:
• System administration/docker experience
• Development or shell scripting experience
• Devops experience
• Understanding of and direct experience with real-time content delivery experience (including, but not limited to, video)
• C/C++ systems level programming
• Experience with IP cameras and network performance around cameras
• Interest in camera/video system technologies: PTP2, RTMP, RTSP, SDI, GigE Vision, CoaXPress, GenLock, IRIG-B
• Video compression experience (h.264, h.265, VP8, VP9)
• Grafana on Prometheus monitoring and alerting
As a general approach, we interview for skill set over specific technologies or languages. However, you will be expected to speak to anything listed on your resume/CV.
About Second Spectrum
We are bringing everyone closer to the game in ways never before imagined, with new forms of interaction, immersion, and personalization. From mobile apps, to giant touchscreens, to smart TVs, to VR/AR, we deliver exactly what each fan, commentator, coach, or player wants to see.
We are pushing the boundaries of deep tech -- machine learning, computer vision, big data, augmented and virtual reality. Our passion for cutting-edge design and decades of experience playing college and professional sports is an equal part of the magic that brings unique and innovative products to life. These products have helped Second Spectrum partners to multiple NBA championships, to win matches on football pitches around the world, to entertain and educate millions of fans on TV and digital. We're just getting started.