Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
The Role: Computer Vision Engineer
What You’ll Get To Do:
We are looking for a production oriented, computer vision engineer to design, develop and implement computer vision and machine learning cutting-edge technologies to ensure our market leading position in sports player tracking and broadcast solutions
• Design, prototype, implement and test software and computer vision & machine learning algorithms in Python and C++.
• Develop and optimize real-time and high-accuracy sports solutions with modern CV: object detection, recognition and tracking, camera calibration, 3D reconstruction, etc
• Leverage Amazon Web Services (EC2 and S3) to run algorithms on a large number of servers in the cloud.
• Implement and provide best-practices for maintainable software development, including deployment process, documentation, and adherence to and improvement of coding standards
• Support and monitor live systems, including on-call rotation for computer vision systems during sports seasons
• Manage interdisciplinary projects in collaboration with different groups within the company
• Continuously learn new applications and apply learnings to new challenges
Our Software Stack:
• Languages for scientific computing: Python 3, modern C++
• Frameworks: OpenCV, CUDA, FFmpeg, Tensorflow, NumPy, scikit-learn
• Code base: Git with GitLab
• Cloud services: AWS EC2 and S3
• Productivity: Slack, Notion, Google Apps
What You Have:
• MSc in computer science or a related degree, with strong software engineering and modern computer vision components
• 2+ years of industrial experience in full development life cycle: design, prototype, implementation, testing and performance evaluation of software
• 2+ years of industrial experience in computer vision and modern machine learning algorithms, such as deep learning
• Solid experience in software engineering: modern software development practices and tools, concurrent and distributed programming, operating systems, computer networks, database systems
• Fully proficient in Python and modern C++ with exposure to functional & object-oriented programming paradigms. Other languages such as Rust will be considered as an advantage for some of our multidisciplinary projects.
• Experience with high performance computing, GPU computing, and real-time systems would set you apart
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or in your portfolio.