Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
We are constantly innovating. We believe that technology will revolutionize the way that sports are played, coached, and experienced, and that the work to make this happen has just begun.
The Role: Machine Learning Intern, Basketball (Summer 2021)
What You’ll Do:
We are looking for a machine learning intern to work with cutting-edge machine learning technologies to ensure our market leading position in sports analytics.
• Design, prototype, implement, test and deploy machine learning algorithms
• Spatio-temporal classification of basketball actions and strategies using player tracking data
• Real-time predictive modeling of on-court basketball outcomes
• Implement and provide best-practices for maintainable ML development, including deployment process, documentation, and adherence to and improvement of coding standards
• Continuously learn new applications and apply learnings to new challenges
What You Need to Have:
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor's(rising senior), Masters, or PhD with concentration in Machine Learning
• Demonstrate strong academic performance
• Strong problem solving and analytical capabilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong willingness to learn from teammates
• Familiarity with Python + ML frameworks (pytorch, tensorflow/keras, scikit-learn)
What Sets You Apart:
• Experience with Rust, C++
• Current participation in or passion for basketball
• Personal projects analyzing sports data
•Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD with concentration in Machine Learning
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
• Cutting-edge products to work on for major professional sports leagues and teams
• Team-oriented, start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages growth and provides opportunities to make an impact
• Flat hierarchy and collaborative management led by highly-qualified technical leads
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or in your portfolio.
About Second Spectrum
We are bringing everyone closer to the game in ways never before imagined, with new forms of interaction, immersion, and personalization. From mobile apps, to giant touchscreens, to smart TVs, to VR/AR, we deliver exactly what each fan, commentator, coach, or player wants to see.
We are pushing the boundaries of deep tech -- machine learning, computer vision, big data, augmented and virtual reality. Our passion for cutting-edge design and decades of experience playing college and professional sports is an equal part of the magic that brings unique and innovative products to life. These products have helped Second Spectrum partners to multiple NBA championships, to win matches on football pitches around the world, to entertain and educate millions of fans on TV and digital. We're just getting started.