Scala Software Engineer
Identify the media playing around you, explore the music you love
Scala Software Engineer
As a server-side software engineer at Shazam you will collaborate with other engineers and product managers to develop and deploy highly scalable software that serves hundreds of millions of users.
Where does the role sit?
The role sits within our Server teams based in our London office, the tech hub of Shazam. The teams have autonomy in choosing technologies, designing solutions and bringing improvements.
The server side software:
- is written in Scala,
- runs on a Linux environment, and
- uses GCP and AWS cloud technologies.
What will you do?
- Be the goto person in the team for Scala.
- Work on feature teams that have significant product impact.
- Collaborate with product managers and other engineers to work on developing highly scalable software that serves millions of users.
- Write elegant, concise, test-driven and high-quality code that runs at scale.
- Shape our software engineering and data engineering practices, to continually improve quality and development efficiency.
- Be involved in daily huddles and discussions regarding ongoing issues, business suggestions and future plans.
- Collaborate with other engineers in order to strengthen team cohesion and share ideas.
- Refactor existing code to drive up quality and improve site reliability.
- Contribute to system architecture and design activities.
- Contribute to new projects as well as current production systems.
Who you are
- A passionate software engineer who cares about building maintainable, readable, testable software that solves real user problems.
- A dedicated lifelong learner who is always looking for new things to learn and try.
- A professional engineer who loves getting their hands dirty in designing, analysing and troubleshooting large software systems.
- An excellent communicator who builds collaborative relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, tenacious in sticking with a problem until it's resolved once and for all
- A great teammate, but you can work on your own initiative as well.
- Always actively looking for ways to improve Shazam's services, and take a personal ownership for the quality of the services we offer.
- Demonstrate personal accountability, owning the decisions and mistakes that you make.
- Team-based software engineering and development experience in Scala.
- Experience implementing and maintaining high-scale systems that process large volumes of data; ideally music related.
- Understanding of cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, GCP).
- Undergraduate CS degree or equivalent experience.
More about the team
If you want to learn more about the team, you can read blogs from them:
Shazam is one of the most popular apps of all time, downloaded over a billion times and used by hundreds of millions of people each month to connect to the world around them.
We pioneered music-recognition technology, but Shazam has become the destination for discovering all types of content–all with one tap: audio, video, print, augmented reality and more.
Want to learn more about Shazam? Visit Shazam's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.