Site Reliability Engineer
Identify the media playing around you, explore the music you love
Millions of users. Billions of tags. Countless moments of discovery. Shazam brings a unique brand of magic to millions every day. It’s our people – their imagination, skills and ideas – that shape our future, and help us make the impossible come to life. Bring us your vision, and it’ll be you creating the wow moments that excite people across the world.
Shazam powers thousands of requests per second for music recognitions all across the globe. This role will be responsible for all of the infrastructure needed to power the metadata, content and data systems; from deployment of new resources to scaling existing ones to meet demand. Working across several teams (metadata, content, and data engineering), this role makes it possible to power the services which delight over a hundred and fifty million users each month.
Where does the role sit?
Joining our London based team and reporting in directly to our Head of Site Reliability Engineering, this person will collaborate closely with other SREs, developers, and product teams. This role participates in an on-call rotation.
What will you do?
- Be a key member of the SRE team that owns all of the metadata, content and data. You’ll work with multiple development teams to build the key backend services that power Shazam.
- Participate in the development lifecycle at a very deep level, from the early stages of feature design all the way to seeing it released into production for our users to enjoy.
- Write and review code. This is not a traditional operations role. We expect you to deeply understand how our applications work, and that means knowing how the code works!
- Help us continue to define and implement good Site Reliability Engineering practices within our SRE teams as well as the broader Engineering organisation
- Identify and implement new technologies that can help us do our jobs better or identify new and better uses for existing technologies that we already use
Who You Are:
- A proven technical expert in Site Reliability Engineering, with a track record of designing, delivering and managing large scale, high-volume big data and content platforms
- An excellent communicator who builds collaborative relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A technical leader from whom engineers are excited to learn and work with
- A person who likes to move fast, pragmatically tackling problems with a can-do attitude
- A passionate individual who loves getting their hands dirty in designing, analysing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- A meticulous automator who actively looks to eliminate routine tasks by writing software
- A dedicated lifelong learner who is always looking for new things to learn and try
- Significant experience in designing and operating large-scale platforms that can easily service thousands of requests per second
- Software engineering and development experience in at least one of the following: C++, Go, Java, Python, or Ruby
- A proven track record of operating systems in a cloud environment, preferably Google Cloud Platform
- Experience operating Kubernetes in production
Shazam is one of the most popular apps of all time, downloaded over a billion times and used by hundreds of millions of people each month to connect to the world around them.
We pioneered music-recognition technology, but Shazam has become the destination for discovering all types of content–all with one tap: audio, video, print, augmented reality and more.
Want to learn more about Shazam? Visit Shazam's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.