Senior Software Engineer
Shield AI, San Diego, California
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR A SAFER, MORE SECURE WORLD
What you’ll do:
- Research, design, and implement state-of-the-art planning algorithms, taking ideas from conception to field deployment
- Optimize the planning stack on the CPU and GPU
- Develop core systems that must be portable and scalable across different UAS platforms and compute architectures
- Work with our Hivemind Design Software team to design and build infrastructure for the PAC team that both supports local development and scales into the cloud
- Work with soft or hard real-time operating systems
- Work with robotics middleware such as ROS and PX4
- Work on algorithms, including graph search, sampling-based planning, etc.
- Work with and deploy our AI stack to edge devices
- Work in collaboration with our DevOps teams to architect and maintain our cloud infrastructure, working with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes; assist with cross-platform builds and test orchestration, working with build tools (e.g. CMake, Bazel, etc.) and compiler tool chains (e.g. gcc, llvm, etc.)
Projects that you might work on:
- Design and implement: a portable world graph that enables rapid global planning across different platforms; complex exploration behaviors for indoor and outdoor environments with heterogenous teams
- Port PAC libraries, where applicable, to CUDA kernels
- Port PAC libraries to EdgeOS, a Shield AI Middleware framework, that enables portability of PAC libraries to multiple platforms and compute architectures
- Design and implement an analysis and simulation framework that: enables testing of various components in isolation or in a fully integrated manner; supports parameter sweeps; supports hardware-in-the-loop
- BS in computer science or related engineering field with 2+ years of professional experience
- Experience with C++ 11, 14, or 17 in a production environment (e.g. support for both internal and external customers)
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, focused on continuous integration/delivery & test-driven development
- Strong knowledge of modern software engineering best practices
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Familiarity with writing thread-safe multi-threaded programs
- Familiarity with common debugging and profiling tools (e.g. gdb, valgrind, etc.)
- Familiarity with git, bash, Python
About Shield AI
Our mission is to protect service members and innocent civilians with artificially intelligent systems. Shield AI is the home of Hivemind, an artificial intelligence which enables robots to see, reason about, and search the world. Shield AI’s first product, Nova, is a Hivemind-powered robot that searches buildings while simultaneously streaming video and building maps. We tackle the world’s most daunting challenges with world-changing ideas, creating resilient artificially intelligent systems for a safer and more secure world. Breaking technological ground in service to human life. Our incredible team is built of scientists, engineers and business leaders driven to make a difference. We come to work each day ready to push technology’s boundaries, to serve the Shield mission and to support one another as together we create a company built to lead -- and to last.
Want to learn more about Shield AI? Visit Shield AI's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.