Senior UX Researcher - Core Product
Commerce platform for small and medium-sized businesses
You'll be working on:
- Helping to define our product roadmap by understanding and advocating for user needs across multiple devices
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams, then working with UX researchers and using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Synthesizing and summarizing findings using multiple data sources to inform product, UX, engineering, and marketing decisions
- Collaborating closely with designers, engineers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track the success of products
- Sharing knowledge, identifying, and solving wider problems across teams and product areas
- Mentoring other UX disciplines and advocating for systems approach to research and design, leading by example with your insights across multiple Shopify touch-points
- Levelling up our UX team, sharing knowledge, and helping evolve our tools and best practices based on the insights you uncover across the Shopify platform
You'll need to have:
- A passion for unpacking and solving complex systems problems that span across multiple contexts
- The ability to identify the best UX research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- Exceptional UX research and systems design abilities shown in a portfolio of real-world projects
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX product and service design process
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking. Example research methods may include observations and in-depth interviewing, usability and accessibility testing, diary studies, card sorting, eye and click tracking, surveys
- The ability to clearly communicate evidence-based recommendations and accept feedback
- Proficiency with UX research tools, such as research software (e.g. MAXQDA, NVivo, Microsoft Excel, SPSS), survey tools (e.g. SurveyMonkey, Typeform), remote usability tools (e.g. Optimal Workshop, Lookback, Dscout), data analysis platforms (e.g. Mode Analytics, Tableau, Google Analytics)
The right person for this role will:
- Put merchants first: Our UX team is focussing on creating user-centric, high impact, high quality experiences. We have a deep empathy for our merchants and understand that we design and build products for them.
- Build for the long-term: you’ll work with your team to prioritize what problems to explore and address by critically evaluating merchant impact, product vision, and technical capabilities.
- Work collaboratively: you’ll have an understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with other disciplines. You’ll build strong working relationships with peers and stakeholders to act in our merchants’ best interests.
- Be self-directed: Shopify is at the intersection of two exciting industries, tech and commerce. Every day is different and we thrive on ambiguity. You’ll adapt to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities, and use your experience and judgement to create the best possible solutions.
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media such as Pinterest and Facebook, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business.