Director, Product Management
Sidewalk Labs, New York
Sidewalk Labs is reimagining cities to improve quality of life.
Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Over the past two years, we have built a unique team of urbanists and technologists who have developed a vision for what this neighborhood of the future will be and how it will function:
- A mobility system that is safer and more convenient than the private car at much lower cost;
- A close-knit community that uses data to improve city services;
- A new standard of sustainability;
- A public realm that puts people first and is vibrant year-round;
- Housing and real estate that is more efficient and thus far more affordable;
- Open digital infrastructure that inspires innovation.
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Product Management team, working to build and integrate the products, services, and solutions that we believe can dramatically improve the lives of city residents, workers, and visitors.
This work is fundamentally cross-cutting and collaborative. In addition to our Product teams, you will work closely with representatives from our Development team (which has responsibility for partnerships with real place); our Investment team (which has the responsibility for negotiating investments); and external partners, as required. You will bring the work of world-class visionaries to life, using technology and other forms of innovation to unlock the true potential of the place.
While you have years of experience, this role is mainly an individual contributor position and an opportunity to stretch the definition of product management.
Day-to-day, you will work closely with these teams to:
- Deeply understand the everyday needs of residents, visitors, workers, and civic leaders and use this knowledge to identify the best opportunities to leverage technology, software, and hardware to improve the urban experience.
- Develop and prioritize a roadmap that balances shippable, near-term milestones with long-term vision.
- Incorporate Privacy by Design, .a principles-based approach to responsible data use that considers privacy at all stages of technological development
- Execute pilots in real-world settings in partnership with local municipal leaders and partners across Sidewalk Labs.
- Launch and iterate exceptional products and services that have measurable, positive impact on urban life.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will dive into the work done to date on defining the product vision and roadmap, asking critical questions, and developing a strong point-of-view.
- By the end of month three, you will have begun executing on near-term pilots.
- From there, you will be responsible for executing on the long-term product roadmap. As a small team charting a lot of unknown territory, you will need to be flexible in working cross-functionally and integrating the specific product you’re focused upon into a comprehensive platform. You will be asked to partner or procure where possible.
What we expect:
- Product experience
- You have extensive track record shipping world-class products, ideally across both hardware and software.
- You have strong product intuition and know how to balance the creative with the practical.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- You know how to drive product development in operations in the short, medium, and long term.
- You can identify when making an acquisition, developing a partnership, or investing is a better approach to product development than building in-house.
- Obsessed with user needs
- Your product discovery process is deeply rooted in observing user needs and creatively solving problems to improve people’s lives.
- Your product strategies are driven by data and user research interviews, surveys, and observational methodologies.
- Collaborative leadership
- You have a strong ability to develop focused missions and inspire teams to execute.
- You are a great communicator in all formats, from boardroom presentations to user interviews to Slack, from engineers to urbanists.
- You can work in a multi-disciplinary, matrixed organization with the power to influence without authority.
- Bias towards action
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of user needs, technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- Passionate about cities
- You have thought about the urban environment and care deeply about improving the lives of urban residents.
We are very excited to hear from you.
About Sidewalk Labs
About us Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet Company tackling the challenges of urban growth. In partnership with Waterfront Toronto and local community, we are currently designing a district in Toronto's Eastern Waterfront. This joint venture, called Sidewalk Toronto, will blend people-centered urban design with cutting-edge technology to achieve new standards of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Want to learn more about Sidewalk Labs? Visit Sidewalk Labs's website.
Jobs You May Like
Endurance International Group, Salt Lake City, UT
Growth Product Manager, Studio
Sr. Release Manager
Box, Redwood City Office
Product Owner - Supply Chain Management (m/f)
Senior Director of Platform Product
Tradeshift, Copenhagen, Denmark
Product Management Director- Data Platform
Shopify, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto