Senior Product Manager, Urban Data Products
Sidewalk Labs, New York
Sidewalk Labs is reimagining cities to improve quality of life.
Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. In partnership with Waterfront Toronto and the local community, we are currently designing a district in Toronto's Eastern Waterfront. This joint venture, called Sidewalk Toronto, will blend people-centered urban design with cutting-edge technology to achieve new standards of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Realizing this ambitious mission requires immense collaboration across our unique team of city experts, real estate developers, investors, engineers, product managers, and designers—the full range of urbanists and technologists. To tackle this challenge, we have organized our work into six areas that we believe are core to a wholly transformed urban experience: mobility, sustainability, public realm, the built environment, data-driven city services and community. Underlying all of these is a digital platform that powers these experiences and enables ongoing, future innovation.
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Product Management team, working collaboratively with the engineering, design and other teams across the organization to develop products for our innovation district that dramatically improve the lives of citizens. Initially, you will be focused on creating data products and tools to understand what happens in the urban environment and drive change to improve urban life.
As geography becomes increasingly foundational to digital experience, from maps to augmented reality to simulation to new location-based sensors, we believe new forms of data have the potential to revolutionize our ability to understand and improve the experience of cities. Computer vision is one product area we believe can dramatically improve the safety of intersections, providing a holistic view of all modes and drive towards VisionZero. We also see a significant opportunity to use computer vision to enable more dynamic public spaces, from making it easy to A/B test in the built environment to rapid iteration and learning around public space management, design, and programming. In addition to computer vision, we also believe new forms of modeling - both macro and microsimulation - can play a transformative role in planning our innovation district. In this role you might focus on one of the above product areas or potentially span multiple.
Day-to-day, you will work closely with a small, cross-disciplinary team to:
- Deeply understand the everyday needs of residents, visitors, workers, and civic leaders and use this knowledge to identify the best opportunities to leverage technology to improve urban experience.
- Develop and prioritize a roadmap that balances shippable, near-term milestones with long-term vision.
- Incorporate privacy by design, ensuring that our data products achieve a high standard for privacy-sensitivity.
- Execute pilots in real-world settings in partnership with local municipal leaders and partners across Sidewalk Labs
- Launch and iterate exceptional products that have measurable, positive impact in our innovation district
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will dive into the work done to date on defining the product vision and roadmap, asking critical questions and developing a strong point-of-view.
- By the end of month 3, you will have begun executing on an MVP, including near-term pilots.
- From there, you will be responsible for executing on the long-term product roadmap. As a small team charting a lot of unknown territory, you will need to be flexible in working cross-functionally and integrating the specific product you’re focused upon into a comprehensive urban data platform.
What we expect:
- Data product experience
- You have extensive experience with products that gather and visualize urban data to drive impact in cities
- You understand how geodata is distinct from data generally, and have experience working with maps and other modes of geographic visualization
- You are familiar with the evolution of smart cities - the wins and failures - and use this knowledge to inform product strategy
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into our product design
- Obsessed with user needs
- Your product discovery process is deeply rooted in observing user needs and creatively solving problems to improve people’s lives
- Your product strategies are driven by data and user research interviews, surveys and observational methodologies
- Collaborative leadership
- You have a strong ability to develop focused missions and inspire teams to execute
- You are a great communicator in all formats, from boardroom presentations to user interviews to Slack
- Bias towards action
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of user needs, technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- Passionate about cities
- You have thought about the urban environment and care deeply about improving the lives of urban citizens
We are very excited to hear from you.
About Sidewalk Labs
About us Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet Company tackling the challenges of urban growth. In partnership with Waterfront Toronto and local community, we are currently designing a district in Toronto's Eastern Waterfront. This joint venture, called Sidewalk Toronto, will blend people-centered urban design with cutting-edge technology to achieve new standards of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Want to learn more about Sidewalk Labs? Visit Sidewalk Labs's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Bra Designer
ThirdLove, San Francisco, California
Product Design Manager
SurveyMonkey, San Mateo
Product Designer (Developer Platform)
Palantir Technologies, Canberra, Australia
Freelance Product Designer, Marketplace
Healthline Media, San Francisco, CA
Program Manager - Hardware
Mojio, Palo Alto