WHO YOU ARE
You are a hands-on project engineer. You're excited to make complex, first-of-their-kind technical projects run smoothly. The team you’ll join in this role handles the entire lifecycle of capital equipment development, from conceptual design to operational support. You’ve experienced this lifecycle, so you know how to work seamlessly with people designing the process, designing the hardware, writing the software, and using the completed equipment. You thrive on the challenge of delivering multidisciplinary projects across big, complicated interfaces. As our team grows and tackles ever-larger projects, you’re a skillful advocate for organizational improvements (in documentation, communication, planning, standards, and safety), but with an understanding that there are no one-size-fits-all solutions. You know when and how to zoom in on key details without micromanaging; you’ve got preternatural listening and communication skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Create and maintain accurate, comprehensive schedules and staffing plans for design-build-commission projects. Communicate these plans and status updates clearly to project teams and management. Proactively track milestones and handoff points. Help ensure projects are completed on schedule.
- Champion organizational techniques for robust documentation, safety, and scalability. Close loops. Create enduring records of design and commissioning work. Create documentation standards where none exist.
- Responsively coordinate people and tasks, with a view to the whole organization. Figure out the best allocation of engineers to the problems we need to solve. Bridge the gap between operations and engineering. Triage critical-path work, remove roadblocks to technical progress, and help the team make smart trade-offs.
- Communicate seamlessly between Sila teams, vendors, contractors, and regulatory authorities, with first-class documentation to back it up.
- Create and leverage strong vendor relationships to help meet Sila’s timelines. Engage with Sila’s supply chain team to get vendor-driven projects completed as efficiently as possible.
- Help develop meaningful, robust qual and FAT/SAT tests for machines and document them rigorously. Deliver capital projects to spec down to the smallest detail, whether performed internally or by a managed contractor.
- Ensure successful handoff to downstream users of your team’s work (typically Process and Manufacturing groups) with well-managed and clearly-documented qualification, commissioning, and handoff procedures. Where needed, provide support for hardware that’s already in production.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- B.S. in Engineering or Project Management and at least 5 years of industry experience.
- Ability to manage complex, mission-critical technical projects, including: schedule development, complex engagements with subcontractors, resource coordination, commissioning, handoff, and support.
- Expertise in generating outward-facing document packages and working with vendors and contractors to deliver equipment or services, including the use of robust validation documents (FAT, SAT) to measure success.
- Effortlessly diplomatic, great communication skills, and able to get buy-in from team members under time pressure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project or equivalent.
- Proficiency in mechanical design and CAD software tools (SolidWorks and AutoCAD preferred).
- Familiarity with industrial electrical & mechanical design, especially involving unique and challenging electrical safety requirements, gas/liquid plumbing, and specialized HVAC would be nice.
- Experience in industrial or manufacturing projects, with firm requirements for safety, uptime, and operational excellence would be nice.
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.
Want to learn more about Sila Nanotechnologies? Visit Sila Nanotechnologies's website.
Jobs You May Like
Expression of Interest - People (Sydney)