Mechanical Engineer - Battery Development
Sila Nanotechnologies, Alameda, CA
See jobs at Sila Nanotechnologies
We're seeking an experienced, hands-on mechanical engineer with an aptitude for learning new things and a desire to help invent the next generation of lithium-ion batteries. This position will focus on developing and optimizing these batteries, along with lab and pilot scale manufacturing and test systems. You’ll be working across mechanical, materials, and electrochemical domains with scientists, engineers, and technicians, so mental flexibility and collaborative problem solving abilities are required. You don’t need to have deep experience in all of these fields, but you must be willing to get it.
- Develop lithium-ion batteries for customers and partners
- Design and implement systems and procedures for the fabrication and test of lithium ion batteries
- Craft and execute experimental plans
- Find failure-modes and root-causes. Crush them.
- Exceptional system design, process-engineering, and experimentation abilities
- Strong mechanical design and fabrication aptitude. Intuition for what will work and analytical ability to evaluate from 1st principles
- Demonstrated ability to learn new systems and improve on them
- Knowledge of precision manufacturing techniques and kinematic fixture design
- At least a B.S. in engineering or physical sciences (e.g. M.E., Physics)
- 2-3 years of work experience (or 1-2 for candidates with an M.S.)
Good To Have
- Experience in integration of mechatronics components such as sensors, motors, and motion and vision control components
- Programming and industrial automation (PLC) skills
- Knowledge of precision machine design
- Experience with materials, chemicals, PV, semiconductors, or pharma
- Experience with Lithium Ion Batteries is a plus
- Portfolio of past engineering/design projects (professional and/or personal) a plus
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.