Battery Development Engineer- Mechanical
Sila Nanotechnologies, Alameda, CA
See jobs at Sila Nanotechnologies
WHO YOU ARE
You’re an experienced, hands-on mechanical engineer with an aptitude for learning new things and a desire to help invent the next generation of lithium-ion batteries. In your work at Sila, you’ll focus on developing, building, and improving the tools we use to make and test batteries in addition to building pilot scale cell manufacturing. You’ll be working with scientists, engineers, and technicians across mechanical, materials, and electrochemical domains. Your work will include time in the lab diagnosing problems and identifying opportunities, collaborative work sessions to develop project plans for new tools and designs, and testing and implementing solutions to improve our cell making capabilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Work collaboratively with engineers, scientists, and technicians to identify opportunities to improve tools and processes for battery fabrication
- Design, implement, and integrate advanced tools and fixtures for custom fabrication and testing of lithium ion batteries
- Compose and execute plans to build, integrate, and qualify pilot scale cell manufacturing equipment
- Effectively communicate ideas and results across diverse Sila teams
- Invest in our company values and vision and champion them as we grow
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Aptitude for mechanical and system design, fabrication, and experimentation
- Collaborative working and leadership style
- Knowledge of precision manufacturing techniques and kinematic fixture design
- Ability to carefully plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong data-driven experimental design skills
- Understanding of lab safety best practices; experience with lithium-ion batteries is a plus
- At least a B.S. in engineering or science and 3-5 years of industry experience (fewer for candidates with an advanced degree)
- Programming and industrial automation (PLC) skills and relational database knowledge would be nice
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.
Want to learn more about Sila Nanotechnologies? Visit Sila Nanotechnologies's website.
148 Active Jobs
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.