Senior Engineer - Battery Development
Sila Nanotechnologies, Alameda, CA
See jobs at Sila Nanotechnologies
WHO YOU ARE
Sila Nanotechnologies is seeking a hands-on, team-oriented engineer with an aptitude for learning new things and a desire to innovate lithium-ion battery technologies. This position will focus on optimizing the performance of our materials in state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries. You will be working cross-functionally with scientists, equipment engineers, process engineers, and technicians, so mental flexibility and collaborative problem-solving abilities are required. The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive range of technical know-how, a versatile cooperative skill set, and a resilient passion to bring our technology to market.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Iterate on materials and process combinations to generate knowledge about and optimize performance of cells made with Sila material
- Work independently to direct projects, effectively prioritize experiments, troubleshoot problems, and drive results to completion
- Proactively invest in our company values and vision and champion them as we grow
- Effectively communicate ideas and results internally across diverse Sila teams to collaboratively accomplish cross-functional goals
- Develop or improve upon existing characterization techniques to determine formulation-performance relationships and offer chemical and cell level corrective strategies
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Exceptional experimentation and product development skills paired with an analytical ability to evaluate from first-principles understanding
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and improve upon them
- Holistic and practical approach to problem solving, driven by curiosity and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering (Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Chemistry preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience (fewer for candidates with an advanced degree)
- Experience with lithium-ion battery chemistry/construction/failure analysis is a plus
- Knowledge of chemistry (organic, polymer, inorganic), electrochemistry and materials science and related characterization techniques is a plus
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.
Want to learn more about Sila Nanotechnologies? Visit Sila Nanotechnologies's website.
The social news and entertainment company.