Senior Battery Development Engineer - Automotive Programs
Sila Nanotechnologies, Alameda, CA
See jobs at Sila Nanotechnologies
WHO YOU ARE
You’re an experienced hands-on, team-oriented engineer with an aptitude for learning new things and a desire to help deploy the next generation of lithium-ion batteries. In your work at Sila, you’ll lead efforts to optimize the integration of our material into automotive cells through both internal development experiments and prototype cell builds. You’ll work across technical teams and with business partners to design experiments, analyze data, and create robust plans to meet our goals and support our customer programs. You’ll be a technical leader and an integral part of the team working to usher in the next generation of electric vehicles.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Collaboratively define and prioritize areas of exploration and development relating to commercial readiness of Sila materials and tailor plans to customer requirements
- Design, carry out, and analyze experiments to advance our understanding of Sila material and improve cell performance in automotive scale cells
- Communicate across diverse internal teams to distill organizational knowledge and incorporate ideas into automotive cell designs
- Mentor engineers, scientists, and technicians
- Invest in our company values and vision and champion them as we grow
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Well-organized approach to problem solving and experimental design, driven by curiosity and attention to detail
- Exceptional leadership and communication abilities with both internal groups and external partners
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it
- Ability to quickly master new fields and drive improvement (e.g. materials and lithium-ion batteries)
- Understanding of lab safety best practices; experience with lithium-ion batteries is a plus
- Experience taking products out of the lab and into the market is a plus
- At least a B.S. in engineering or science and 5-8 years of industry experience (fewer for candidates with an advanced degree)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on an occasional basis
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.
Want to learn more about Sila Nanotechnologies? Visit Sila Nanotechnologies's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.