WHO YOU ARE
You are a creative, diligent, resourceful, and hands-on technical contributor. You will design and develop processes to synthesize materials needed to set the new standard for Li-ion batteries. You enjoy closely collaborating with core and multidisciplinary teams on complex, sometimes multi-year, projects. As a team, we start with first principles, develop new materials, design & qualify processes for pilot scale development & commercial production, and continually assess, support and improve our manufacturing capabilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Analysis and characterization of structure and property relationships in Li-ion battery materials with rigorous attention to detail.
- Assist in the transition of new product concepts into a product development pipeline through prototype design, and qualification toward commercialization.
- Working in a matrix organization, the candidate will be able to communicate and interact effectively with a range of people including business, manufacturing, and research managers, process engineers, R&D engineers, technicians, and operators.
- Assist with process integration of novel materials into existing workflows.
- Improve and create workflows for repeatable, high-quality Product decisions.
- Create and systematize Sila’s process modeling capabilities, including best practice development, training, and collaboration with other groups.
- Collaborate with research teams to determine the necessary physical and chemical data needed to develop accurate process designs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Physics with 4+ years of relevant work
- Demonstrated track record of supporting manufacturing processes through laboratory support
- Intimate knowledge of analytical methods for materials characterization
- Fluent knowledge of designed experiments, research statistics, and computational methods for data analysis
- History of safety-centric development and operational accomplishments
- Desire to teach, collaborate with a team, and solve problems independently
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and eager to create structure
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a laptop, copier/printer machine, etc.
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Repetitive use of hands - light to forceful handling of material
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.
Want to learn more about Sila Nanotechnologies? Visit Sila Nanotechnologies's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos