Process Design Engineer - Utilities & Facilities
Sila Nanotechnologies, Alameda, CA
See jobs at Sila Nanotechnologies
WHO YOU ARE
You are a creative, diligent, rigorous, insightful and hands-on technical contributor. You understand chemical plant design -- and particularly enjoy working on the utilities and facilities side of the design. You will design and develop chemical and physical processes to manufacture materials needed for Li-ion batteries. You will be on a team, surrounded by individuals with diverse backgrounds, but a similar goal. We start with first principles, develop new materials, design & qualify processes for pilot scale development & commercial production, and continually support and improve our manufacturing capability. You will enjoy closely collaborating with a core team of Process, Equipment, and Manufacturing representatives on complex multi-phase, multi-year projects.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Understand specific design methodologies surrounding process utilities and other supporting “offsites” such as absorption towers, pressure swing adsorbers, thermal oxidizers, heat exchangers, compressors and safety systems.
- Design, develop, and validate chemical and physical processes utilizing industry best practices
- Originate clear and detailed Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) documents such as mass and energy balances, specification sheets, piping and instrumentation diagrams with supporting process calculations
- Research, recommend, specify and qualify equipment necessary for safe and efficient operation
- Plan & execute designed experiments (DOEs) at various process scales and perform process modeling to elucidate the underlying mechanism, kinetics, and transport of production processes
- Investigate material characteristics and process/device performance relationships to recommend continual improvement and control strategies
- Design to, and work within, and help create Sila best practices
- Analyze and present data to create understanding and deliver actionable information
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- B.S. Chemical Engineering or comparable with 2+ years of industrial processing experience
- Understand asset operation and troubleshooting: wiring, mechanics, and instrument operation
- Be a conscientious, curious, and a deliberate thinker/actor
- Desire to work with/for a team and ability to solve problems independently
- Materials science and engineering R&D experience would be nice
- Proficiency with process simulation or statistical process control would be nice
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a laptop, copier/printer machine, etc.
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Repetitive use of hands - light to forceful handling of material
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
About Sila Nanotechnologies
Sila Nanotechnologies Inc. is delivering the next generation chemistry of materials that change the landscape of what is possible with batteries. We enable dramatically higher energy density batteries for smaller, lighter, longer-lasting wearables & portable electronics, mass adoption of electric vehicles, and practical use of renewable energy. Our first products, which you can test in cells today, increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries by 20% to 40%. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale, and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes. Founded by Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Georgia Tech materials science professor, Sila is backed by top tier investors led by Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, our debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Gadget, and Lumen.
Want to learn more about Sila Nanotechnologies? Visit Sila Nanotechnologies's website.
Beautiful event websites