Product Manager, Data
Skillz, San Francisco, Vancouver BC, Portland, Las Vegas, Remote
See jobs at Skillz
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for:
Our product development team sets the vision for the Skillz player experience. Data is at the heart of Skillz and responsible for driving player insights, matchmaking, fairness, fraud, and game telemetry. Product Manager for Data will drive the product strategy, product requirements, and go to market strategy for some well-defined data initiatives. You will drive continued development of our game telemetry measurement, fraud management, matchmaking, and general intelligence gathering to drive real operational impact and provide critical insights into new products and features.
What you'll do:
- Lead a team of data engineers and data scientists to develop world class machine learning models that impact the business by improving fraud, matchmaking, monetization and developer success
- Surface key metrics and information to developer partners to drive meaningful impact to their businesses
- Create a way to best display our portfolio of games and offerings to our users
- Create supporting business cases, including financial impact and benefits statements, to support feature/functionality concepts and sell the concepts to internal audiences through persuasive oral and written presentations.
- Track to defined metrics to measure success of program features, analyze results, and partner across the organization to develop action plans and enhancement recommendations.
- Develop business cases, oversee the development of solutions and advocate concepts with internal business leaders.
- Maintain processes to ensure project management documentation, reports and plans are relevant, accurate and complete
- 3+ years of proven Product Management experience building analytical tools or data products
- Experience working with SQL, business intelligence tools, and building data infrastructure
- Understanding of the technical architecture of data pipelines, warehousing and data management systems
- Domain expertise in payments, fraud, game telemetry, and matchmaking a huge plus
- Knowledge of multiple analytics packages and data techniques preferred
- Skilled at guiding the product development process: ideation, wireframing, design, implementation, quality assurance, etc.
- Experienced with designing schedules/time tables and driving to on-spec and on-time completion
- Comfortable liaising between technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Able to collate idea streams from across all stakeholders to drive future product roadmap
- Computer Science degree or Technical background required
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.
Today, people spend more time playing video games than they do playing all physical sports, and eSports are poised to become bigger than the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL combined. Skillz provides the technology that powers an eSports industry forecast to exceed $5 billion in annual revenue by 2020. Skillz has been named the fastest growing private company in America, ranking number one on the 2017 Inc. 500 list. This makes Skillz the first eSports company to top this prestigious ranking, and also comes on the heels of being the first eSports company ever named to the CNBC Disruptor 50 list of the most innovative companies changing the business landscape. As the leading mobile eSports platform, Skillz connects the world’s 2.6 billion mobile gamers through competition. Skillz is the eSports provider for over 3,000 game studios, and accounted for more than 46 percent of all eSports prizes awarded in 2016 while broadcasting 40 million minutes of gameplay to spectators worldwide. Skillz makes games better by powering the competitions that players love and giving developers the chance to turn their game into the next great electronic sport. Founded in 2012, Skillz is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists as well as the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks and New York Mets. In our quest to make gaming better for players and developers, we’re looking for savvy, passionate and hardworking teammates to help us build the future of sports. If you’re excited about defining a multibillion dollar industry, building an awesome product, or working with bleeding edge technology, Skillz just might be for you!
Want to learn more about Skillz? Visit Skillz's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies