Who we’re looking for:
At Skillz, we’re building an eSports competition platform to power the mobile gaming industry. The opportunity is huge: 1.2 billion people a day play a mobile game, and 55% of all mobile phone time is spent playing games! Skillz is creating a more compelling competitive and social platform for players and enabling game development studios to create sustainable businesses in a way that can’t be done in today’s free to play ecosystem with advertising and in-app purchasing.
To succeed in our mission, Skillz engineering has to invent and implement new concepts in every part of our stack: deliver great user experience in our industry leading mobile SDK, solve complex data science problems to rate and match players and prevent fraud, and build out a rock solid infrastructure that can both scale and enable rapid implementation of novel tournament types and game options.
You are an expert people manager and take pride in the success of your team. You know what it takes to mentor individual contributors, team leads and engineering managers, and get them to the next level in their career. You’ve built high-velocity teams as well as resilient systems that have scaled to hundreds of millions of users, you know how to guide teams to maximize speed and quality, and how to continually build the right amount of process to maximize efficiency at each point of a rapid organizational growth curve.
What you'll do:
- Help build and maintain a high performance, diverse & collaborative engineering culture
- Recruit, hire and mentor, motivate and promote world class engineers of all levels of experience.
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all major areas, including system reliability, performance and on-call procedures.
- You and your team will engineer highly resilient systems and as a service owner be responsible for availability and scalability of those services.
- Estimate ship dates of major deliverables with a 75% or better accuracy
- Work with senior management to shape and deliver the technical and product roadmap, and define quarterly OKRs for your department
- Manage and evolve the development and deployment process and achieve continuous deployment.
- Have successfully grown a division from 5+ to 20+ engineers.
- 10+ years of experience, 5+ managing multiple teams and other managers, 3+ working with AWS infrastructure and java based micro-services
- Consider scaling and architecture to be your areas of expertise
- Experience in high availability, high throughput systems
- Degree in CS or a related field
- Start up experience strongly preferred
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status
Today, people spend more time playing video games than they do playing all physical sports, and eSports are poised to become bigger than the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL combined. Skillz provides the technology that powers an eSports industry forecast to exceed $5 billion in annual revenue by 2020. Skillz has been named the fastest growing private company in America, ranking number one on the 2017 Inc. 500 list. This makes Skillz the first eSports company to top this prestigious ranking, and also comes on the heels of being the first eSports company ever named to the CNBC Disruptor 50 list of the most innovative companies changing the business landscape. As the leading mobile eSports platform, Skillz connects the world’s 2.6 billion mobile gamers through competition. Skillz is the eSports provider for over 3,000 game studios, and accounted for more than 46 percent of all eSports prizes awarded in 2016 while broadcasting 40 million minutes of gameplay to spectators worldwide. Skillz makes games better by powering the competitions that players love and giving developers the chance to turn their game into the next great electronic sport. Founded in 2012, Skillz is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists as well as the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks and New York Mets. In our quest to make gaming better for players and developers, we’re looking for savvy, passionate and hardworking teammates to help us build the future of sports. If you’re excited about defining a multibillion dollar industry, building an awesome product, or working with bleeding edge technology, Skillz just might be for you!