Senior Application Engineer
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Slack is looking for Senior Application Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
Application Engineers build the server-side of Slack using PHP / Hack, MySQL and Linux. In a typical week, an application engineer will develop new features with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, and frontend, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers. They will collaborate with peers to write or review technical proposals, and contribute to internal tools that optimize our development process. They will assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving issues.
This position is based in San Francisco and reports to one of our engineering managers.
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 3+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.