Senior Product Security Engineer
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Our Platform Security team supports the following tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do. As a member of the Platform Security team you care about shipping secure products and ensuring that the way in for the bad guys is never through the front door. You are passionate about enabling our developers in shipping secure products. You think about your job as not fixing bugs but finding effective ways to eliminate them. Your work will directly impact the way millions of people, teams, and businesses get things done using Slack.
- Performing technical security assessments on our web applications, mobile clients, and architecture designs
- Efficiently scoping blackbox, whitebox, and graybox assessments to optimize security review time and resources
- Communicating risks effectively to engineering staff through training and technical demonstration of vulnerabilities and secure design patterns for security topics
- Maintaining and creating secure development practices and programs for our engineering teams and external developers
- Acting as an ambassador for the secure development lifecycle within Slack
- Serving as a public ambassador for security at Slack by engaging in internal and external speaking engagements
- Maintaining your skillset and technical knowledge current and relevant to the technologies used at Slack
- Seeking out opportunities to automate processes when appropriate
- Identifying risk in code, applications, processes, and architecture
- Tracking and responding to issues detected during internal reviews or reported via our Bug Bounty program
- Reviewing and validating issues reported via our Bug Bounty Program, Slack customers, and other researchers
- Prioritize issues and assign an appropriate CVSS score and follow up with different teams to address those issues
- Mentor junior team members in conducting security reviews
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 4+ years experience in security testing of web applications and native mobile apps
- Deep understanding of web application architecture and design principles
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and communicate with empathy when delivering constructive feedback regarding security matters to engineers and product designers
- Background in software engineering and common development practices in a collaborative and dynamic environment
- Familiarity with common web application testing tools for DAST, SAST, and IAST analysis such as Burp Suite, Checkmarx, Veracode
- Knowledge of authentication mechanisms like SAML, OAuth, etc.
- Knowledge of common security flaws and resolution as published by OWASP, SANS, etc.
- Knowledge of how to test code and applications across various platforms (iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, etc) for security and quality
- Ability to see patterns, commonalities and investigate complex issues
- Organizational skills to bring together and record detailed and accurate information about bugs and systemic issues
- Experience with Amazon AWS services and familiarity with Slack products is a plus
- Current or former security training or certifications such as SANS GWAPT or similar is a plus
- Public speaking engagements or published research is also a plus
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.
Want to learn more about Slack? Visit https://slack.com/
Jobs You May Like
Video Editor, Product Video
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Coordinator, Product Development
Allbirds, Allbirds HQ
Platform Product Manager - Platform Engineering
Visual Product Designer
Warby Parker, New York, NY
Product Manager – Digital Analytics
OnDeck, New York, NY, US
Product Developer - Soft Goods
Casper, San Francisco