User Research Intern
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Slack is looking for interns to work alongside our User Research team during the summer of 2018. These internships are a unique opportunity for someone pursuing a PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or equivalent), who wishes to gain hands-on experience in a fast-paced environment. You will conduct research, and in partnership with a team of cross-functional partners, will contribute to the development of Slack.
You will have the opportunity to work with a small and collaborative team, and will be paired with one of our senior user researchers who will act as your mentor throughout the program. You’ll have the ability to see the impact of your work on the product, and learn how research is done in industry.
We’re looking for researchers who are able to do one or more of the following: conduct user interviews, facilitate usability studies, design and analyze surveys, or conduct ethnographic research.
- Gather insights about customers from a variety of research methods, such as surveys, interviews, diary studies and usability studies
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative results and convey those insights to the appropriate people in the most engaging and actionable manner
- Work closely with the product teams to help them use research insights to make Slack better
- Work closely with other insights teams to tell a cohesive story about our customers
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude and empathy for users
- Self awareness and a desire to improve your skills
- A curiosity about how things work
- An eagerness to jump in and help fix things
- Previous intern experience is a plus
- Must be graduating December 2018 or later
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.