Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
About the Team
The Site Reliability Engineering team is composed of systems and software engineers, working to make Slack more performant, available & reliable each day. We’re driving latency down and ensuring that Slack is available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on scaling problems for a global customer base, and write software to work on multiple cloud providers. We redesign fundamental network components and instrument applications across the company. We get excited about making Slack fast as heck.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This is a full time senior engineering position based in San Francisco
What you will be doing
- Designing and develop a new highly-available infrastructure component to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product
- Joining a development team on a rotation, to help them to reduce service latency, and increase availability
- Whiteboarding a solution to improve performance of our real time messaging API in an underserved location -- and then roll out your implementation
- Participating in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues
What you should have
- You have curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- You are able to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications
- You love to mentor and model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks)
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale
- Experience using PHP without a framework
- Proven competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus)
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.
Want to learn more about Slack? Visit Slack's website.
Jobs You May Like
Full Stack Web Developer
Software Engineer - Product Experience
Senior Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff)
Senior Product Manager: Mods & Game Integrations
Twitch, Irvine, CA
Senior Software Developer in Test
Spot Hero, Chicago
Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer (Remote)
HVMN, San Francisco