Director, Security Operations
Slack, San Francisco
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Our Security teams support the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We recognize and value the contribution security makes to building trust and earning the business of our customers. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As Director of Security Engineering, you have three key areas of focus: Maintain customer trust through the use of innovative security solutions; Ensure the leaders and engineers on your teams are thriving, by investing in their development and growth; See that the important work your team is responsible for gets prioritized, resourced and accomplished.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Craft a meaningful vision and build tools, processes and products that improve the security of Slack's products, data and infrastructure
- Ensure achievement of immediate term goals through teamwork and high standards
- Work closely with cross functional teams to conceive security strategies and features that will help keep Slack’s data safe
- Use data to make decisions about prioritization and impact
- Build processes and frameworks to improve the teams’ execution and outcomes
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Mentor and coach the leaders and ICs within your teams, helping them to develop
- Build roadmaps and long-term team vision in partnership with the Product team
- Be accountable for driving program execution
What you should have
- You are a coach and talent magnet. You have extensive experience growing teams, coaching managers and developing people
- You develop inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers
- You have experience leading teams and building security solutions for products that work at web scale
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your teammates' best work to clients with varying levels of technical fluency
- You comfortably weigh several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- You have at least 5 years of engineering management experience, at least 2 of which should include managing managers
- You have enough technical expertise to be able to talk to participate and contribute to engineering and architecture decisions
- You have built, scaled and refactored teams, as needs shift. and driven them toward a consistent vision with reliable execution
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.
Want to learn more about Slack? Visit Slack's website.
Jobs You May Like
Spacecraft Systems Test Engineer
Astranis, San Francisco, CA
Senior iOS Developer
Lalamove, Hong Kong
Wish, San Francisco, California
Data Engineer, Product Development
Palantir Technologies, London, United Kingdom
Senior Backend Engineer
Peloton, New York, NY