Sr. Software Engineer, Site Reliability
Slack, Pune, India
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
About the Team
This position is on Slack's team which is already well established in Pune. In addition to software engineering, this role requires managing a large and varied infrastructure as it grows.
We build our app using reliable tools that our team knows and trusts, including Java, AWS, Kubernetes, PHP, MySQL, and Linux. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes. We’re a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together to make Slack a better product. We are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This is a full time senior engineering position based in Pune, India
What you will be doing
- Designing and develop a new highly-available infrastructure component to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product
- Joining a development team on a rotation, to help them to reduce service latency, and increase availability
- Whiteboarding a solution to improve performance of our real time messaging API in an underserved location -- and then roll out your implementation
- Participating in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues
What you should have
- You have curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- You are able to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications
- You love to mentor and model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g.Java, PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Scala (used without frameworks)
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale
- Amazon Web Services eco-system: EC2, S3 etc.
- Experience using PHP without a framework
- Proven competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus)
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Empathy. Courtesy. Playfulness. Craftsmanship. Solidarity — these are some of the values we live by, as a company. We work by them, too: we’re building a platform and products we believe in — knowing there is real value to be gained from helping people, wherever they are, simplify whatever it is that they do and bring more of themselves to their work.
We’re building a strong, diverse team of curious, creative people who want to find a purpose in their work and support each other in the process. We work hard and we play to win… within normal business hours. And then we go home.
That balance is important: It enables us to truly do the best work of our lives. As a result, we create a place where all kinds of work happens — and happens well — all while working alongside people we respect and admire.
Want to learn more about Slack? Visit Slack's website.
Jobs You May Like
IT Operations Specialist
Reddit, San Francisco
Senior Natural Language Processing/Machine Learning Engineer
Oscar, New York
Software Engineer, Computer Vision
Snap Inc., London, UK
Software Engineer, Platform Tooling
TradeRev, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Senior Backend Engineer (Node.js) - West Coast Remote
Full Stack Developer
Samanage, Netanya, Israel